diy solar

diy solar

Charge controller with programmable output voltage

Recently a couple of A123 lithium packs from a Smith electric delivery truck landed in my garage. They are really nice things: built-in BMSes, CANBUS control, and high energy density in space and weight. Disadvantage: odd operating voltages. They are 26S3P with a unique "proprietary" A123 chemistry.

Max charge voltage 93.2v, nominal 85.8v. Thunderstruck Motors sells an MCU that is designed to communicate with the pack's BMSes (or with their own external BMS modules if you build your own pack) and allows reading cell conditions, temps, change settings, etc. via a USB connection to a laptop. I've set one pack up with an MCU and it works as advertised. The MCU will also control a battery charger and shut down charging when max voltage is reached, if cell imbalance or overtemperature is detected, and/or after a fixed number of minutes. Has an alarm output. Very handy gadget. Intended for EV conversions. Really wish the solar home power world had such things.

I've been searching for a solar charge controller with adjustable output voltage. 92 volts max would be good for my purposes. Such things are very scarce. Anyone run across such a controller?

Last edited:
Its interesting there isn't much of anything for the DIY/Consumer market in that inbetween voltage range. The very common 48V system chargers and components usually max out at 65 to 70V and the High Voltage solar battery storage modules are in the hundreds of volts.

Back