diy solar

diy solar

Renogy Rover MPPT Step Down Voltage but current stays the same

McDavid403

Hi, Does anyone have experience with the Renogy Rover Li 40 Amp MPPT Solar Charge Controller.

IMG_9101.jpegAccording to the manual, the MPPT charge controller should boost the current going from the panel to the battery so you don’t lose any power due to the stepped down voltage.

I have a Sunpower 100W panel hooked up to my renogy charge controller and a victron smart shunt between the battery negative terminal and charge controller output.

The charge controller is measuring 18.6V and 7.38 Amps at the panel but I am only seeing 7.26 Amps at 13.3V going into the battery. Would think the Amps going into the battery pack should be closer to 10 Amps?

Hi, Does anyone have experience with the Renogy Rover Li 40 Amp MPPT Solar Charge Controller.

According to the manual, the MPPT charge controller should boost the current going from the panel to the battery so you don’t lose any power due to the stepped down voltage.

I have a Sunpower 100W panel hooked up to my renogy charge controller and a victron smart shunt between the battery negative terminal and charge controller output.

The charge controller is measuring 18.6V and 7.38 Amps at the panel but I am only seeing 7.26 Amps at 13.3V going into the battery. Would think the Amps going into the battery pack should be closer to 10 Amps?

18.6V * 7.38 = 137W... out of a 100W panel?

vs.

13.3 * 7.26 = 97W... out of a 100W panel - which is almost unbelievable in itself.

Which seems more reasonable to you?

So either the unit is misreporting data, or you are misinterpreting it.

IMG_9105.png

Attachments

• IMG_9105.png
    IMG_9105.png
    645.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9071.jpeg
    IMG_9071.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9071.jpeg
    IMG_9071.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 3
You've misinterpreted it.

7.39A is what the controller is sending to the battery. The accompanying icon shows arrows TO the battery thus indicating current to the batteries, not current from the panel. It's confusing.

We've already established that it's impossible to get 18.6V AND 7.39A from the panel. You'll likely find the max power current rating of the panel is around 5.5A on its sticker.

View attachment 179608According to the manual, the MPPT charge controller should boost the current going from the panel to the battery so you don’t lose any power due to the stepped down voltage.

Read this message about setting up the Renogy Rover 40 amp MPPT solar charge controller as it maybe helpful especially if the Rover 40 is connected to a Lifepo4 battery,

Renogy 40a mppt Li settings

After reading the message in the link read the entire thread as you may find it helpful.

Back