diy solar

diy solar

Question about 4Patriots 1800

ARC1

I obtained a 4Patriots 1800 with 2 solar panels that can be daisy chained. The unit works very well with the solar panels connected through the Anderson Powerpole connection (DC In) Port, and the battery charge indicator is at the max level (6 bars) after a day in full sun.

However the internal AC charger does not seem to work. I am looking to facilitate AC charging by connection a compatible DC charger directly to the Anderson connection. The manual says that a hand crank, windmill, etc can be connected, so I don't understand why a DC charger wouldn't work. I understand the charge controller specs are important. The manual also says "The acceptable DC charging voltage range is 16.5 – 32 VDC. If any other VDC is used, the unit will be damaged."

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Read more: https://manuals.plus/4patriots/patriot-power-generator-1800-4patriots-user-manual#ixzz8FJESZdXH

IMHO, 4 patriots products are hyped up overpriced crap exploiting a market driven by paranoia and ironically... misplaced trust.

Laptop power supplies tend to be around 19V but are relatively low current.

A 30V/10A benchtop power supply would hit close to 32V.

I would pursue warranty due to the malfunction.
Thank you for the info! I bought a power supply as you suggested. I'll post results after I test it.
Definitely not worth the sticker price. I bought this basically at a yard sale at a very reasonable price. The solar panels and battery are worth what I gave for the whole thing. Everything works perfectly except the onboard AC charger. I would like a way to charge it using AC, just in case. I contacted 4Patriots but since I am not the original purchaser I doubt the warranty applies unless I can get the original purchaser to call and verify.

Last edited:
Just an update that an adjustable 30V 10A benchtop powersupply connected through the rear (input DC) powerpole connections worked perfect! Power supply was about $40.

I get these 4patriot ads placed on my YT videos and wish they didn't because they are overpriced and no they are not made in the US.

I have read some bad reviews of the units and now they are offering to give one away if you buy one.

Suggests to me they have issues like that internal charger not working so buyer beware!

case. I contacted 4Patriots but since I am not the original purchaser I doubt the warranty applies

Quality matters when it comes to warranties. Victron doesn’t make solar power generators but you could make your own with their components and a cheap 100Ah lifepo4 battery that will rival any off the shelf one. But to the warranty issue, most Victron products are warrantied for 5 years. The warranty goes with the purchase date. Regardless of how many owners have owned it. The verified Victron dealer that sold the item is the one who provides warranty service (if ever needed). Some dealers give a free extended warranty but only if you buy from them. If the dealer fails to provide warranty service, then Victron will step in and call upon another Victron dealer. In rare cases, Victron will directly provide warranty service if the original seller doesn’t.

I have a neighbor who showed my wife pictures of what her brother had bought after noticing the solar setup we have.

She was so proud of how large his setup was and he had the 4patriot units. I'm keeping my mouth shut and not saying squat about the guys setup because if I get started it might make things "tense" between us and the neighbor.

Best I can tell he has at least 9 of these things in a wooden rack he built and has problems powering some things in his house......

I had to bite my lip SOOO hard not to point out how bad he got screwed.

He has to have over $36,000 in that joke.

I had to bite my lip SOOO hard not to point out how bad he got screwed.

As my good friend likes to wisely say,

“Would you rather be right or happy (keep your neighbor)?”

Just yesterday I told my wife how the first lamb I slaughtered the other day didn’t go so great (knife was dull). She said that she wished I hadn’t told her that.

EDIT: I should clarify that it didn’t go as quickly as I had done previously. I sharpened the knife with a sharpening tool I hadn’t previously used with that knife. Lesson learned to test the knife before using for real. I ended up using a different knife and that went much better…

Last edited:
No doubt the 4Patriot units are overpriced and underpowered. I only picked it up because it was really cheap and has extra solar panels. I really don't think a new unit like this would be worth more than $1000-$1200. As far as the internal charger, the manual says not to leave it plugged in, to monitor it and turn it off when the battery is fully charged. I suspect that someone (original purchaser) left it plugged in. It is probably a simple fix, but the bench top power supply charges it fine thru the rear dc port. Everything works fine for a LiFePO4 12V 60AH set up. If it were 100AH it still shouldn't be $2500.

If it were 100AH it still shouldn't be $2500.

This where the term "marketing" gets a bad name. Marketing can be used to sell people things they really want/need for a fair price, but it can also be used to manipulate people into handing over way more money than they should ever pay if they had only looked elsewhere for the same thing.

Their marketing campaign is doubly shameful. It reeks of "buy american from americans for americans" but they are simply stealing from real Americans. I have no idea of the actual people profiting off their scheme are American or not, but it doesn't matter, it's a blatant rip-off.

Not to poo-poo your good find, if you found it used for really cheap then a good deal is a good deal. It's just that anytime 4patriots comes up on this site, it gets nothing but disgust and people feeling sorry for those who lost so much money for a mediocre product.

Back