diy solar

diy solar

Question about charging a battery bank with 2 charge controllers.

Arqueboy

sistema 2000w.jpeg

I plan to have to sets of 4 250 watts 24v each set, every set of 4 panels with a charge controller of 60 amps, bot sets (8 panels in total), conected to a battery bank of 4 200ah batteries conected in 24 v, 2 in series and those 2 series in parallel, i have two questions, do i need mppt charge controllers or this can work with pwm charge controllers?, and i would like to know if the diagram is correct or you find any errors, please i will appreciate your feedback.

do i need mppt charge controllers or this can work with pwm charge controllers?,
If the Vmp of the solar panels are arround 35 or 36v a PWM controller should work OK on a 24V system....but a MPPT controller will milk more out of the panels. If your panels Vmp is way off of that, a PWM will not work as well.

Some folks believe it is better/cheaper to have more panels and use PWM than fewer panels with MPPT to get the same power generation. There is some validity to the argument but most people on the forum advocate for MPPT.

and i would like to know if the diagram is correct or you find any errors,
Electrically it is correct but incomplete: You will need fuses/breakers on the panels.

Physically, you would not want to lay the batteries out that way. It might not keep the wear on the batteries even.
At a minimum, you will want to do something like this
1629247774280.png
This arrangement would be better at keeping wear balanced:
1629248583018.png

BTW: If possible, you want to set up the two controllers with an Identical charge profile. The system will still work if you can't do that, but at the very end of the charge cycle only one of the two controllers will be contributing to the charge.

Back