diy solar

diy solar

Question about initially charging LiFePO4 cells before top balancing

PeteW

I have (16) 3.2 280AH Kehgen prismatic cells. They arrived from china around the end of September or the beginning of October in 2021. At the time they shipped the testing sheet shows that their voltages ranged from 3.290 - 3.293. I tested them when they arrived and there was slight deviation, but closely similar (and I can't find my notes, :(). I took readings today and they are still mostly the same with exception of 5 cells that now range around 3.886 (This was a typo and should have read 3.286) and 1 that is 3.274. Nothing has been done to charge them or put loads on them since they left the Keheng facility. When they arrived I had to put them on the back burner as I've had a bunch going on in my personal life that has keep me from moving forward on my battery build. Things have calmed down for the moment so I'm hoping to get started. My plan at this time is to configure them 8s2p for a 24V battery build, which is for my RV, but first I just want to get them top balanced.

This brings me to my burning question. Will I will do harm if I use a Lead Acid battery charger to initially charge my cells, in 4s configurations, before I top balance all 16P of them together? I've done a lot of reading and I'm pretty sure this would be okay, but obviously I'm a complete novice with zero experience and nervous about f***ing up my cells. Next, how will I know when I have charged each 4s configuration enough using my lead acid battery charger? Also, I have two battery type settings, Regular and AGM. Does it matter which I use I'm also assuming that I should use the 10amp quick charge setting, correct? I'm posting a picture of my charging equipment.

I18qS79vscWL85txEaEAAQSTeYZQ6O6upS9XccxMD5Zxr1ms9W3d3gGs2FHcJsNVDYQBRBsuocSw5bSqwkmVzxMmpTR1uzK0TIDdjv4oZpd_hX_S7SSF9fCp-PBT1ZyZwys_wbba3Hg=w400
fFChB0rJr0Mi6r3D1tzkSNb-muNib91Uv8URuRO4K0vs2JR-Kw_xT8Zif2VNHEDTu2amA44KJmRNd1Au1QYd4CYQ4Id4XkfH5W57tabDrxsPm26rd12uXrkg79HR819cQBLlSZoBiTA=w400

Last edited:
Follow this guide:

Seriously. Read the whole thing.

Follow this guide:

Seriously. Read the whole thing.
I read the whole thing, Seriously!:)

Super Helpful. Such good quality info. I actually remembered having read this last year, But it was definitely time for a refresher. I have read most of FilterGuy's white papers, but because I'm such a noob and haven't actually done of all of the hands on yet, retention only lasts for so long.
Thanks for shooting me in the best possible direction. I'm truly grateful.

Back