diy solar

diy solar

Question About Surge Protectors

LSC

I saw a video on yootoob about using AC and DC surge protectors. I can see adding the AC ones to the AC IN and OUT but I am wondering about the need for a DC surge protector on the battery leads? Anyone using them on the DC side? Also I have been wondering about what size wire to connect to the ground lug of the surge protectors? Thanks

I only have Midnite Solar surge protectors on all the PV inputs coming in from outside and that is the only surge protection I've seen recommended on DC side.

Okay, thanks. I am using a combiner with fuses for panels and a surge protector in the box.

Okay, thanks. I am using a combiner with fuses for panels and a surge protector in the box.
Just to be clear I have a DC surge protector on each combiner box outside by my ground mount arrays and also right before it connects to the main bus bars inside by charge controllers.

Just to be clear I have a DC surge protector on each combiner box outside by my ground mount arrays and also right before it connects to the main bus bars inside by charge controllers.
Thanks for adding that. I was just looking at where I can put the other DC surge protector and inside next to the QD and before the AIO PV input looks like a good place.

I have trouble with my inverters resetting/rebooting when local-area lightning causes surges back down the AC grid side. I think it's time to install a surge capacitor on that side of the site.

Back