diy solar

diy solar

Rails for Newpowa 200W panel?

Davehal9000

Made the mistake of buying a DIY system that the seller recommends in the fine print having a professional install. There's not much in the DIY arena I can't do, but some aspects of this are new to me.

Local solar companies will only install what they sell. Have an electrician helping out with everything but the panels. Just had the roof redone, and the roofer is going to install the flashing, but won't touch the panels.

My question here is the selection of a rail for the panels. Am using four Newpowa 200w panels. Is there a rail system these will lock into? Am reading lots of posts not to use Unistrut. Don't want to put the money out on a rail and have it not interface with the panels properly.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I heard about unboundsolar.com and they can supply you whatever your railings or flashing needs.

assuming you're installing on the roof of your house. i would recommend you stop the project altogether, and do the research on what residential requirements are in your area. you need a plan approved and permits pulled to do it legally.

maybe helpful

Last edited:
to address your question directly, rail systems are "universal". all panels are made with an aluminum frame that rail clamps squeeze between a top cap and the rail itself. mid clamps go between panels and end clamps go on ends/edges where no adjoining panel meets.

20201104094941_76173.jpg

This is residential, but won't be feeding back into the grid.

Electrician is supposed to be checking on the permit requirements. His company has no experience with solar panels, so they don't want to touch them, at least the guy I've been talking to doesn't. Am hoping they find someone in their company with solar experience and can advise on the panels

grid-tie or otherwise, you need plans and a permit pulled for it to be legal. you shouldn't be able to get a permit without full plans. you will probably need to do the "general contracting" portion with your AHJ to get solar requirements defined.

I cannot more strongly advise you to NOT install on the roof. ground mount arrays eliminate many problems for DIYers.

Back