diy solar

diy solar

RE: A/C powered charger: can you parallel 2+ of them?

sendero

This might seem like dumb question but here goes. I'm interested in having an A/C powered charging system for my lifepo4 bank. Getting these in substantial amperage is expensive.

Now - my battery bank is charged from 3 separate Epever trace charge controllers utilizing 3 separate panel strings. This works fine.

That being so, could you parallel 2 A/C powered chargers or are they not smart enough for that to work?

This might seem like dumb question but here goes. I'm interested in having an A/C powered charging system for my lifepo4 bank. Getting these in substantial amperage is expensive.

Now - my battery bank is charged from 3 separate Epever trace charge controllers utilizing 3 separate panel strings. This works fine.

That being so, could you parallel 2 A/C powered chargers or are they not smart enough for that to work?

Yes. Provided they are properly configured to charge your batteries and the total of all sources does not exceed your battery's rated charge current.

No problem. I've done that multiple times with news cells.

I once added all chargers I had... and was able to charge with 115A or so... had like 5 connected (1x 60A, 2x20A, 1x10A)

I can’t imagine why it would be an issue since people use multiple SCC’s on their battery banks along with a DC/DC charger along with other charging sources. But, as others have stated, you have to make sure that you’re not suppling more Amps than the battery can handle.
If it were me, I would start disconnecting multiple chargers once the battery starts getting to a higher capacity.

I have done it, but have had mixed results. In most cases, while I did achieve additional amps, the amps didn't add up to what the 2 devices charged on their own.
In my experience, the higher the SOC gets, the more deviation there is between actual current and what you might expect.

If you want to use AC source for charging it is usually better and cheaper to buy an inverter/charger.

If your plan is to charge from a generator you should get a charger that has good AC power factor when charging. You have to make the effort to find one with good AC power factor and they are usually more expensive.

LF inverter/chargers have a good AC charging power factor. HF inverter/chargers do not always have good power factor for AC charging.

Back