diy solar

diy solar

Received my BLS 190Ah LiFePO4 Cells this Week,.....now What?

My understanding is that they can all work in harmony!
Apparently my EVs use active balancing. I just drove to LA and back from Sonoma and not a peep was heard from from my batteries. However, somewhere outside Coalinga when I was napping while my wife was driving I was awakened but the little ding dogs of the alarm that I set that tells me the speed has exceeded 85 mph. Still no noise from from my batteries that were harmoniously providing coulombs in response to my wife's lead foot. :ROFLMAO:

I am migrating all of my batteries to use active balancers and so far in bench testing, they work.
I have a BMS that I can turn the balancing function on and off. I usually leave it off. I also drive two EVs that apparently use active balancers so I don't have a strong opinion either way. I know that Tesla uploads battery data on all their cars so they have developed a huge knowledge base of how their tweeks to their batteries have performed. I will be interested in the long term benefit of using an active balancer. It is always something I can add if I find out my pack is drifting and my BMS can not manage it efficiently.

I do not anticipate serious cell drift based on my conservative use of my new pack and my experience with Lithium batteries over the past eight years. I did experience drift with my Frankenpack of used Nissan Leaf cells and that shows up as voltage differences during charge, discharge and when closer to the knees. I expected that with a used pack of mixed vintage cells.

Any links to these active balancers on aliexpress or something similar? Can't find anny in the UK!

Any links to these active balancers on aliexpress or something similar? Can't find anny in the UK!
This one works very well. I used it to top balance my cells, but I think it's better you don't leave it permanently attached. Reason being, when your batteries are in a low SOC it will bottom balance, then when it charges cells will keep hitting overvoltage until they top balance, repeat ad infinitum.

It does but the shipping is megs bucks to the uk!

I'm pretty sure there is a UK version of Amazon. Out of 5 ordered of those, only 2 are working. I have to return 3. They might seem to work when I plugged them in but they won't turn back on or they don't turn on at all within the parameters. I don't know if I trust them yet. I might have to make my own capacitive balancer. I'm not paying $80+ for an active balancer when the parts are $10 max.

..... Out of 5 ordered of those, only 2 are working. I have to return 3. .......
I don't know if I trust them yet........
I am with your thinking, with the additional thought that I can always buy a balancer later or turn on the balancing function of my BMS if my cells drift. Thanks for the update.

This is the closest I can find from Amazon UK.

@Ampster That is the truth, they are easy to install and you probably won't need them until your battery ages. I'm dealing with the ShunBin batteries, trying to get as much as I can out of them before they end up in my ShunBin. An active balancer seems to be a solution I'm willing to try since they are most likely used, somewhat mismatched cells they threw together to sell as new.

If your voltage difference is < 0.1, more than 500ma is enough.. 1.2a will handle up to 0.2v difference. When the difference is < 0.2v, the cells won't accept more than 500ma anyway.

The answers on the ad indicate is a shunt balancer, not what I'm looking for. I want the heat-pump version that transfers power from a higher cell to Lower cell.
I hope you meant charge pump. I am considering using active cooling on my battery pack, but I am hoping to avoid freon inside the battery compartment.

I am considering water cooling on my battery pack (borrowing from the PC overclocking community). A heat pump is going to far IMHO.
The 'Heat Pump" reference was based on the technology that takes little power and transfers more power (heat energy) from one place to another instead of wasting it. Before heat pumps, electricity was applied to heat a room. Although it was 100% efficient, with use of a compressor, it was discovered that it was more efficient to move the heat than to generate it. In this case, it is more efficient to move the energy than dissapate it. Anyway, sorry for the confusion.. This is just the weird way my mind works sometimes.

Back