diy solar

Recommend me a battery!

jiten87

Hello,

I'd like a battery recommendation for my current simple setup:

Mega 100 Watt Portable Solar Panel from RichSolar
Renology wanderer charge controller

Use: charging a 26k amp hour powerbank over several days

I wont need an inverter because of the charge controller's built in USB ports correct?

Thanks!

Post a link to the model you have. The one I found does not have a USB port.

Seems like any 12v battery would work. AGM you should keep fully charged. Lifepo4 works too above freezing.

The powerbanks charge up easily.
26k mAh are 96.2 Wh so, 10Ah will do it, but it isn't wise to completely deplete a battery, plus having spare use is a good idea.
100W panel in good sun should net you 400Wh a day or more. So, I would get at least a 35Ah 12.8 LFP battery.
Now, you don't need an inverter, but you do need a USB outlet to connect your powerbank.
I like the 3.0qc outlets, but having a pd type c is mandatory.
Plenty of bulkheads available on amazon.

Please reexplain what you are doing.

^^^because that doesn’t make any sense to me (unless it’s milliamphours??).

Sorry, yes mAh

The powerbanks charge up easily.
26k mAh are 96.2 Wh so, 10Ah will do it, but it isn't wise to completely deplete a battery, plus having spare use is a good idea.
100W panel in good sun should net you 400Wh a day or more. So, I would get at least a 35Ah 12.8 LFP battery.
Now, you don't need an inverter, but you do need a USB outlet to connect your powerbank.
I like the 3.0qc outlets, but having a pd type c is mandatory.
Plenty of bulkheads available on amazon.
My post above this one lists a charge controller with usb A outlets, I have a usb A to usb C cable, this will work right?

Those ports are usually .5 to 1A so, many devices barely work on them.
If I have a power bank needing a charge, I use a real type c pd port.
Those typeA usb ports are only capable of 5V at less than one amp.
A pd port can output 5,9,12,20V at 2A...
Even more if connected to a 24V source...

Those ports are usually .5 to 1A so, many devices barely work on them.
If I have a power bank needing a charge, I use a real type c pd port.
Those typeA usb ports are only capable of 5V at less than one amp.
A pd port can output 5,9,12,20V at 2A...
Even more if connected to a 24V source...
so what would I need to add to get a decent charge speed to my powerbank?

I understand.
But having a single place to connect the battery, then fused spots for the charge controller, the USB Bay, and future spot for additional things, like lights etc...

Another issue is that the 100W panel will not have access to the sun all the time it is shining (its on a balcony, not a roof) So I will be not getting that 400wh daily allotment.

So would it make sense to get a lower ah battery? 35 ah 12v LFP batteries are very expensive and for the first DIY project I dont want to spend that much, just want to proof of concept the idea

would it make sense to get a lower ah battery? 35 ah 12v LFP batteries are very expensive and for the first DIY project I dont want to spend that much, just want to proof of concept the idea
I personally would not buy a non-volume commodity LiFePo battery myself.
You can get the same ‘proof of concept’ results out of a 100Ah 12V battery that’s actually useful longterm and last I looked ain’t much more money than those “smaller” batteries are. That’s what I would do.
It’s going to charge the same daily Wh

Yup, with low Wh PV input, you aren’t going to recharge quickly. You could get a small battery, but your bank needs around 100Wh to fully recharge. So, hopefully you are getting at least an hours worth of full sun…

8Ah 12.8V would be the absolute minimum battery size…
I’d just spring for 100Ah, so you don’t deplete the thing, and have plenty of cushion for low sun days… or weeks as we enter winter…

Another issue is that the 100W panel will not have access to the sun all the time it is shining (its on a balcony, not a roof) So I will be not getting that 400wh daily allotment.

So would it make sense to get a lower ah battery? 35 ah 12v LFP batteries are very expensive and for the first DIY project I dont want to spend that much, just want to proof of concept the idea
For extremely low cost proof of concept, find a small AGM battery out of UPS or something. If lead acid, it needs to be small or you won't actually charge it with such low power. Otherwise I agree with everybody else, buy a 100ah lifepo4 that would actually be useful down the road.

diy solar

diy solar
Back