diy solar

diy solar

Recommendations for Mini-Split Heat Pump System

mckennab

IV Watts
Does anyone have experience with installing and running a 120V mini-split system in a small cabin or RV setup? I'd like some real-world data on energy usage, efficiency, reliability and ease of self-installation (I know it voids warranty for some systems). I'm interested in systems with high SEER ratings but not ridiculous price.

I have no data for you, but this may get you on the right path.

Mr. Cool markets targeted DIY mini-split systems. They seem to have a very good reputation with lots of favorable reviews.

Highest SEER units require 240V, but many decent ones on 120V.

I have no data for you, but this may get you on the right path.

Mr. Cool markets targeted DIY mini-split systems. They seem to have a very good reputation with lots of favorable reviews.

Highest SEER units require 240V, but many decent ones on 120V.
Yeah this one looks pretty good and is in the right price range. Bonus they even have a dealer close to me - in these days I like to award my business to local small business'

I 2nd the Mr. Cool DIY - saved us a thousand bucks and from trying to convince an HVAC tech to come to the boonies and do an off-the-grid install. Most said no at off-the-grid right from the start.

I'm planning for a purchase as well. For 400 sq feet. Which model heats and cools?

I 2nd the Mr. Cool DIY - saved us a thousand bucks and from trying to convince an HVAC tech to come to the boonies and do an off-the-grid install. Most said no at off-the-grid right from the start.
Have you done any measurements of power consumption?

I've got exactly 400sqft - I have the 12,000 BTU SEER 22 120V model
No, sorry I haven't had it long enough to use it yet - but winter is coming.

I think all of the ones designated as heat pumps do. They are more efficient than radiant heaters down to quite low temperatures.
No, you have to make sure yours heats and cools - just saying heat pump it is probably just AC though most (but not all) I've seen did both (heat and cool).

I've got exactly 400sqft - I have the 12,000 BTU SEER 22 120V model
No, sorry I haven't had it long enough to use it yet - but winter is coming.
Have you done any cooling with it? I'd love to know the duty cycle and over-all energy usage for real-world conditions for both heating and cooling. I'm looking at the 9K unit, which I think is SEER 19, I only have 112 sqft and 7' ceiling so I don't need a lot but trying to estimate solar/battery usage in 4 season RV.

Have you done any cooling with it? I'd love to know the duty cycle and over-all energy usage for real-world conditions for both heating and cooling. I'm looking at the 9K unit, which I think is SEER 19, I only have 112 sqft and 7' ceiling so I don't need a lot but trying to estimate solar/battery usage in 4 season RV.
Not really, it's 68 here today just like yesterday.... and the day before
The AC is more for dehumidification in the winter (our wet season) when it will be 48 and wet.

Not really, it's 68 here today just like yesterday.... and the day before
The AC is more for dehumidification in the winter (our wet season) when it will be 48 and wet.
Oh where are you? I'm in Austin, Texas where it's 100+ between May and mid September, but will use the RV to follow the seasons between here and Pacific northwest so not anticipating too much extremes.

I got good experience with Daikin and Daizuki Inverters.
You can usually find those at your local craigslist or Facebook as some sort of gray market item.

Self install, when you do it the first time, is really a long procedure. You need a bunch of special tools and go really slow.
Nothing complicated, just really time consuming.

The whole world is running mini splits for decades. It's only new to the US. those things last at least as long as any regular A/C.

My 12000 BTU inverter is cooling my 600sqft garage/shop in south Florida. With 12ft ceilings and metal garage doors. which are not good insulated nor good sealed.

Oh where are you? I'm in Austin, Texas where it's 100+ between May and mid September, but will use the RV to follow the seasons between here and Pacific northwest so not anticipating too much extremes.
20 miles south of Lattitude 42 (as far North as Cape Cod) and but a few miles from being as far West as the Westernmost point of the State of California - on the coast of California 20 miles south of the Oregon border. Mild spring-like temperatures year-round with 5 months of beautiful sunny weather and no rain, a month or so transition each year and 5 months of violent winter storms that bring hundreds of inches of rain.

20 miles south of Lattitude 42 (as far North as Cape Cod) and but a few miles from being as far West as the Westernmost point of the State of California - on the coast of California 20 miles south of the Oregon border. Mild spring-like temperatures year-round with 5 months of beautiful sunny weather and no rain, a month or so transition each year and 5 months of violent winter storms that bring hundreds of inches of rain.
Sounds like perfect heat-cycle heat pump climate

I got good experience with Daikin and Daizuki Inverters.
You can usually find those at your local craigslist or Facebook as some sort of gray market item.

Self install, when you do it the first time, is really a long procedure. You need a bunch of special tools and go really slow.
Nothing complicated, just really time consuming.

The whole world is running mini splits for decades. It's only new to the US. those things last at least as long as any regular A/C.

My 12000 BTU inverter is cooling my 600sqft garage/shop in south Florida. With 12ft ceilings and metal garage doors. which are not good insulated nor good sealed.
Any idea of energy consumption for various conditions (do you get varying conditions in south Florida even?)

Any idea of energy consumption for various conditions (do you get varying conditions in south Florida even?)

I wired the mini-split to 220V so really hard to measure unfortunately. I can tell you some amp readings, but otherwise I only got the smart meter from the property. But let me phrase it that way - I hardly did see any increase in kwh from before and after the install of addition 600sqft of conditioned space. In the summer maybe 50-100kwh a month.

we have a interesting weather in South Florida - Summers it's 70-90 (may-oct) and winter it's 50-80
So in Summer the A/C is running all day long and during the night. While in the winter it's really nice and I only need the A/C for a few hours in the afternoon. if ever

Back