diy solar

diy solar

Recommended mounting material for mobile

K8MEJ

Owner, Off-Grid Power Systems
In my off-grid camper build, I used raw 3/4" plywood to mount my various electrical devices - Victron inverter/charger, 2x MPPT controllers, Lynx distribution, Cerbo GX, switches, etc. Of course, after I built the system I realized I should have used something more flame and heat resistant. In the electrical trades they often use fire resistant plywood, which is expensive and not readily available. I'm thinking 1/2" plywood with a fire/heat resistant coating might suffice.

What do you guys recommend for use when building installation backers in mobile (primarily RV) situations? Weight and ease of cutting (machinability) and joining are important, of course, so concrete board isn't a good option.

Thanks!

You may consider Home Depot Diamond Plate. That's what the Ambulance industry uses for their electrical mounting. They support heavy loads.

I have plywood behind all my electrical equipment. All of the interior of the RV is also made of wood and luan. If an electrical component or wire catches fire the panel behind it won't matter much. The RV refers are made of steel and they are pretty good at burning an RV to the ground.

I have plywood behind all my electrical equipment. All of the interior of the RV is also made of wood and luan. If an electrical component or wire catches fire the panel behind it won't matter much. The RV refers are made of steel and they are pretty good at burning an RV to the ground.

True, for my own system I'm ok with my choice, for the reasons you mentioned. Selling equipment and performing installations for customers is what has me thinking I should probably do something different, if for no reason than an overheating MPPT controller or short circuit in the equipment, for example, doesn't cause a fire which burns down the RV. It's one thing for me to accept the risk, but if there's reasonable prevention of the rare risk, I would be foolish not to do it.

You may consider Home Depot Diamond Plate. That's what the Ambulance industry uses for their electrical mounting. They support heavy loads.
Do you have a link? Home Depot sells "diamond plate" rubber flooring, but I'm assuming you're talking about using diamond plate steel. Am I correct? If so, that doesn't fit the easy to work with or relatively lightweight criteria. Some people load their RVs with so much crap that they get close to or exceed the GVWR of the vehicle/trailer. Removing lead-acid batteries helps, but there is a net weight gain when you factor in the solar panels and electrical equipment.

I may be wildly overthinking this :)

I just don't see where properly installed modern electrical equipment would be any worry at all with regard to catching the plywood it's mounted on fire. If you want something to worry about, look at the absorption refrigerator above your electrical panel. Out of 100 RV fires, I'd bet that 90 or 95 of them can be traced back to the refrigerator

Don

I just don't see where properly installed modern electrical equipment would be any worry at all with regard to catching the plywood it's mounted on fire. If you want something to worry about, look at the absorption refrigerator above your electrical panel. Out of 100 RV fires, I'd bet that 90 or 95 of them can be traced back to the refrigerator

Don
I replaced my 120v/propane absorption fridge with a 12v DC compressor fridge about 4 months ago. But, your point is valid.

Do you have a link? Home Depot sells "diamond plate" rubber flooring, but I'm assuming you're talking about using diamond plate steel. Am I correct? If so, that doesn't fit the easy to work with or relatively lightweight criteria.
Home Depot sells aluminum diamond plate. See All Departments -> Hardware -> Metal Sheets & Rods then select Sheet Metal. The specs for a 36"x36"x0.025" plate is 3.33lbs.

The 0.025" Diamond Plate would have to be screwed to something (likely plywood) to support the weight of the components he wants to mount on it - But, I guess it probably *would* pretty much fireproof the plywood

Don

Do you have a link? Home Depot sells "diamond plate" rubber flooring, but I'm assuming you're talking about using diamond plate steel. Am I correct? If so, that doesn't fit the easy to work with or relatively lightweight criteria. Some people load their RVs with so much crap that they get close to or exceed the GVWR of the vehicle/trailer. Removing lead-acid batteries helps, but there is a net weight gain when you factor in the solar panels and electrical equipment.

Actually, Ambulances utilize diamond plate aluminum due to corrosion presented by dissimilar metals. The entire box is aluminum. You pick your thickness.

Diamond plate aluminum in approx 3/16 to 1/4 inch thickness measured at the smooth place, meets the code and will not burn
Commonly used in ambulances and firetrucks. Inverters and charge controllers do get hot enough to combust wood.

People could also offset weight by replacing heavy equipment with lighter weight equipment. A composting toilet weighs far less than a porcelain toilet. Plus, you can do away with the black tank, plumbing, dump site tools and Literally "Stop hauling at ton of crap around". Then offset that weight with solar gear.

Some RV's (TT & 5th's) leave the factory with so little cargo capacity that it's tough to add much to them without exceeding GVWR. Beer, food and water add up quickly :)

Find a fire truck and/or ambulance being scrapped! I removed all 1/8” aluminum diamond plate, stainless plate, ss fittings/handholds, heavy duty contactors/switches/relay boards, 10 ga and heavier wiring, brass bus bars, etc. It was a job, but so worth it.

If I didn’t have all of that stiff aluminum for my work van electrical compartment (including my 14.4 kWh LFE battery), I probably would use quarter inch cement board and half inch plywood behind that laminated together, then attached to 2”x2” studs, 8” on center, bonded with construction adhesive.

Last edited:
I know that this is the wrong place BUT the discussion is going. I’m looking at building a new room where the electrical panels, inverters … will be located. Every one is using concrete board to mount equipment. I’m looking at putting 1/2 plywood on the wall with 5/8 sheetrock over the plywood. Sheetrock provides a fire resistant surface and the plywood underneath it would give me a surface that I could screw anything to.

Any thoughts?

Starboard FTW. If'n ya really wanna get fancy.
If your SCC is getting hot enough to burn you got bigger problems than a wood backer.

Back