diy solar

diy solar

Fire Safety of Electrical Enclosures

$350 for 50 cu.ft coverage, which is a lot more than my enclosure space with batteries. I suppose it can be considered expensive, but it's all relative. If I can save only 1 of my $1500 batteries, I'm ahead.
What's the value of a life? Having just experienced a fire, spending a couple of grand would not be too much for me, now.

any other alternatives besides drywall or cement board? neither one sounds like a good idea in a bouncy vehicle. any kind of fire proof/resistant laminate to put on wood? obviously metal but i don't want to mount all my electronics onto metal. what about a layer of graphite? never mind graphite conducts electricity
My 24VDC van system is all mounted to and surrounded by 1/8” aluminum diamond plate, is isolated from the chassis 12V system. Smoke detector with RF transmitter to five more detectors in my home, including my home/shop power sheds and MBR.

My DIY 10kWh of batteries (4 x 2.5) are surrounded by 26ga steel sheet, with 1/2” ceramic fiber mat lining between cells and metal case. All batteries have 175A Anderson connectors for quick removal and ease of repairs in the future.

I am now wondering exactly what I can do to fireproof the enclosure.
Cover all the plywood with 2" of Rockwool panels that are extra dense. Then put cement board over the rock wool using screws that are long enough to go through the rock wool and fasten into the plywood. That denser rock wool will allow you to fasten that cement board pretty good against it. That would be a pretty good "fire proof" box for relatively cheap.

I've ordered those Rockwool panels from Acoustimac in the past since it isn't easy finding those Rockwool panels in the USA locally.

with 1/2” ceramic fiber mat lining between cells and metal case
Is that ceramic fiber mat really dusty/friable? I looked at that as well but used rock wool instead because the ceramic fiber I could find mentioned how dusty it was.

Is that ceramic fiber mat really dusty/friable? I looked at that as well but used rock wool instead because the ceramic fiber I could find mentioned how dusty it was.
Not if it is enclosed/sealed inside my four sheet metal boxes. Some of it I’ve used in aircraft firewalls has binders but it’s still best to cover with another layer of sheet stainless or steel. I build outdoors with a fan blowing across work area and mask on.

I'm not aware of any fire suppression system that is feasible to implement in a mobile application that can put out a runaway lithium battery failure, do they exist?
Thermal runaway doesn't occur with lifepo4 chemistry.

"Will LiFePO4 batteries catch fire?
Some LiFePO4 batteries have a built-in pressure relief valve that releases gas in case of an internal overpressure, preventing the battery from exploding. Non-flammable electrolyte: LiFePO4 batteries use a non-flammable electrolyte that does not catch fire even if the battery is punctured or damaged."

Thermal runaway doesn't occur with lifepo4 chemistry.

"Will LiFePO4 batteries catch fire?
Some LiFePO4 batteries have a built-in pressure relief valve that releases gas in case of an internal overpressure, preventing the battery from exploding. Non-flammable electrolyte: LiFePO4 batteries use a non-flammable electrolyte that does not catch fire even if the battery is punctured or damaged."

This is not correct.

LiFepo4 electrolyte will indeed ignight when exposed to high temps such as serious punctures, or an existing fire.

Like vegitable oil or hair spray... corn dust, iron filings... if its hot, itll burn...

This is not correct.

LiFepo4 electrolyte will indeed ignight when exposed to high temps such as serious punctures, or an existing fire.
Yet again, the sources of information seem designed to mislead. Seems impossible to tell what's good and what's bad anymore.

Thanks for correcting my info. ?

Yet again, the sources of information seem designed to mislead. Seems impossible to tell what's good and what's bad anymore.

Thanks for correcting my info. ?
They mean to say, that unlike the NMC chemistry electrolyte which will spontaneously self ignite if overheater or punctured at all, then self oxygenate the flames until all energy is dissapated...

LiFePO4 is merely flammable in the presence of extreme heat or open flame.
It is a mildly combustible. Will not SELF ignite, and requires oxygen to sustain the fire.

In short, it is FAR safer than other lithium chemistries, and with decent provisions should pose no more a threat than the structure itself...

any other alternatives besides drywall or cement board? neither one sounds like a good idea in a bouncy vehicle. any kind of fire proof/resistant laminate to put on wood? obviously metal but i don't want to mount all my electronics onto metal. what about a layer of graphite? never mind graphite conducts electricity
You can apply a fire-retardant paint to wood. It’s expensive but you can buy it by the gallon at the big box stores.

I am in a wild fire zone. My solar is installed in the garage. The inverter is UL listed and approved, the lithium batteries are UL9540a with the inverter and the enclosures for the batteries are UL9540. The are spaced 24 inches from the drywall and 36 inches from each other. There is already a sprinkler system in the garage as well as whole home. The second story windows are tempered glass to prevent ember breaches. Second story vents and first story attic vents have attic fans blowing out (of course, the other vents that suck in are screened to prevent embers. the attic has a sprinkler system too. The roof material is cement shingles. If a wild fire happens in our area, we will evacuate and then return to see what happened, but we have cleared dead space around the home and tried to minimize risk. That's all you can do.

Back