diy solar

diy solar

LTO battery fire

Systems Planet

My home build LTO battery had a fire last night.
We heard a large pop and came out to find a small arc fire in one of the cells. One of the cells had popped completly apart. The wiring was arcing and causing a small flame.

We were running five 10 amp active balancers on five 22S banks.

Either:
- the balancer died
- a cell went bad, or
- the wiring became corroded and high current.

I post this to remind people that we need a mechanism to detect these events and shut everything off and alert you to the problem.

LTO chemistry is amazing.
This could have been much worse.
Our small arch fire was easily put out with a CO2 fire extinguisher.

The battery cart was on wheels and easily wheeled outside, away from the house, while we dealt with the fire.

When you plan for a fire,
you're ready for a fire.

Make sure your batteries are on wheels, you have a fire extinguisher, and a fire plan to get flaming batteries away from your home.

Be safe.

Attachments

• 20231123_101101.jpg
    20231123_101101.jpg
    1,021.5 KB · Views: 321
Pat yourself on the back
You're the one who had a Battery BBQ and survived to tell about it. Bottom line, its your money & butt along with all the risk of bodging together in a hap hazard method. But never mind, I've only been at it for a few decades, what do I know. Have Fun and Good Luck, just keep a fully charged Extinguisher handy.

Alligator clips connect the cells to the balancer
You were relying on alligator clips for that?

Chance that it had a bad connection and was misreading the cell voltage, and you may have had a runner that popped something. LTO doesn't just blow like that.

You really shouldn't use alligator clips for your pack.

You were relying on alligator clips for that?

Chance that it had a bad connection and was misreading the cell voltage, and you may have had a runner that popped something. LTO doesn't just blow like that.

You really shouldn't use alligator clips for your pack.
THIS.

Also, what are you powering that requires a 22S pack???

Eeeek Gads Like juggling 4 fragmentation grenades with the pins pulled. Time to revisit basics &

You're the one who had a Battery BBQ and survived to tell about it. Bottom line, its your money & butt along with all the risk of bodging together in a hap hazard method. But never mind, I've only been at it for a few decades, what do I know. Have Fun and Good Luck, just keep a fully charged Extinguisher handy.
Dude. I've lived through Outback, Solark and EG4 inverters.
This is not my first rodeo.

This was a test rack that I built myself by hand and it behaved beautifully for four years. I've intentionally ran it balls out 100% charge to discharge daily.

I got every dollar out of what little I invested.

So go give your unsolicited advice to some other thread.
You are not needed here.

Dude. I've lived through Outback, Solark and EG4 inverters.
This is not my first rodeo.

This was a test rack that I built myself by hand and it behaved beautifully for four years. I've intentionally ran it balls out 100% charge to discharge daily.

I got every dollar out of what little I invested.

You are not needed here.
You probably shouldn't disrespect someone who likey knows more about batteries than all the rest of us put together.

The battery cart was on wheels and easily wheeled outside, away from the house, while we dealt with the fire.

When you plan for a fire,
you're ready for a fire.

Make sure your batteries are on wheels, you have a fire extinguisher, and a fire plan to get flaming batteries away from your home.

Be safe.

I don't know what you're idea of safe is , running a test rack like that in a home doesn't seem very safe to me ? , especially not one you are deliberately pushing to its limits

remind people that we need a mechanism to detect these events
Perhaps quality engineering to prevent such events. Like Steve_S, I've been around some time and seen the results of poorly engineered setups. Luckily you survived uninjured, some don't .
You are not needed here.
A very unpleasant statement, not needed on a technical discussion forum.

Today I've learned.....

When you share a helpful post on this forum, you get:
- accused of using 'hap hazard methods'
- told to "revisit basics & safety methods"
- accused of "disrespect"
- attacked with bogus appeals to authority

Please ignore anyone on this forum who is so smart that they can't have a battery fire, or too proud to admit when they do.

Peace

Back