diy solar

diy solar

Class T fuse clarifying question-LTO

AstroTan

Hi folks, I was just reading about the need for a class T fuse with lithium batteries, and believe I understand the concept of why high AIC ratings are needed. What I'm now getting hung up on is, why aren't class T fuses needed at EVERY point where a fuse is needed? For instance, why is a typical automotive blade fuse sufficient for a downstream circuit where say i have 18awg wires powering a small fan. If i short those wires, won't i have the same issue of very high short circuit current from my battery which would weld the fuse and promptly light those tiny wires on fire? Or would even a 200amp (for example) class T fuse blow in that instance before the small downstream wires overheated?

Many thanks in advance and I hope i didn't miss this question being asked elsewhere....

As an add-on, I am using an 88ah 13.8volt Lithium Titanate used EV battery (8p6s altairnano pouch cells) periodically in my camper van. I know LTO is supposed to have very low internal resistance, is a standard class T fuse with 20K Amp capacity still sufficient? At the moment, i have just a few small loads that i connect directly to the battery, like a diesel heater and a 12v outlet plug. These are fused, but i'm guessing those little auto blade fuses are inadequate without a class T somewhere upstream of them?

As another add on, i have a bunch (i think 15-20) more of these batteries that are in various states of disrepair, generally in very low states of charge, with some of the parallel groups likely bad, that i haven't been able to find a local recycler for here in Humboldt County, northern CA. I will make a separate post about these soon, but i'd love to give these away to anyone who might be interested in breaking apart the packs and salvaging good cells. I have attached a photo of one where the assembly is somewhat visible.

Attachments

• PXL_20221009_235411966.jpg
    PXL_20221009_235411966.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 5
Class T is a popular choice but can also consider a midnite 125V DC 250A circuit breaker for around $100, and then that also gives you the disconnect function you would otherwise need a switch for.

Hi folks, I was just reading about the need for a class T fuse with lithium batteries, and believe I understand the concept of why high AIC ratings are needed. What I'm now getting hung up on is, why aren't class T fuses needed at EVERY point where a fuse is needed? For instance, why is a typical automotive blade fuse sufficient for a downstream circuit where say i have 18awg wires powering a small fan. If i short those wires, won't i have the same issue of very high short circuit current from my battery which would weld the fuse and promptly light those tiny wires on fire? Or would even a 200amp (for example) class T fuse blow in that instance before the small downstream wires overheated?

I wonder too. It is called "Coordination"

A fast blow high AIC fuse (or breaker) feeding smaller slow blow lower AIC devices, maybe for a dead short it can blow the main one without the small ones opening.

Breakers in a facility can be coordinated either way. Dead short can open the main breaker, cutting power to the facility while leaving everything intact. Or can trip the small breaker, destroying it because insufficient AIC rating but leaving the rest of the facility running.

A specified hierarchy of fuses could do this. Mix-n-match with auto store fuses probably wouldn't. Resistance of wires between them could help.

We hope that when the small one blows and pulls an arc, the big one opens fast enough to prevent a fire.
It is also good to have enclosures that contain the arc blast (explosion.)

Not counting fuses, things like knife switches are sometimes spec'd to withstand 200k amps long enough for fuse to blow. And class T fuses are spec'd to limit time of current flow so short that 200k amps is no greater hit of energy than 20k amps, allowing lower AIC rated parts downstream. "Current limiting" they call it, but it is really time limiting. The curves do not show limiting occurring down below 10kA or 20kA, so doesn't appear sufficient for our small fuses/breakers in DC systems (Class T rated only 20kA DC vs. 200kA AC.)

What we would like is a "current limiting" fuse for DC applications and our current levels.

Back