diy solar

diy solar

T class fuse and breaker placement

Wineguy

Setting up an offgrid 3 kW AIO connected to a single 48V LFP 100 ah battery (with a solar array as well!). My question is regarding placement and order of placement of 125 A t class fuse, 125 amp Nader breaker and bus bar between the battery and the AIO. I need to convert the 48 V to 12 V to run a few things in the cabin so I need to convert the 48 V to 12 V as well. My understanding is that the T class fuse should be closest to the battery so was planning on installing the t class fuse in a fuse holder near the positive terminal then connecting the fuse to a 275A bus bar then connecting the 125A nader breaker then connecting to the AIO. (see attached figure) Is this the right order? does it make a difference where the Nader breaker is located? Do I need the T class fuse along with the Nader Breaker? Also, I was thinking of putting in a DC breaker downstream of the 48V to 12 V converter and inline fuse. Is this needed? Any help here is appreciated.

Attachments

• fuse location.jpg
    fuse location.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 20
The breaker is redundant at the same rating as the Class-T. I would skip it.
Only when the wire size is stepped down there needs to be an appropriate smaller rated fuse. This would include the wire to the 48-12 converter. After the converter probably does not need a fuse if the wire is rated for the full 12v amps available. The converter will limit the output amps.

Fuse should be as close to the positive bus (or battery if no bus) as possible

I have class T fuses between my batteries and bus bars, and added breakers between the inverters and bus bars for use as switches. When I designed and built the system I was thinking I'd be disconnecting the inverters occasionally.

In practice, the breakers haven't been needed at all.

Back