diy solar

diy solar

T class fuse rating

Papote

I have 2 Orient Power 5Kw @ 100 Amps 48 Volts LiFePo4 wall mount batteries. I plan to purchase more in the future. At the moment, I have a 300 Amp Bus bar to connect all the batteries. The positive and negative 4/0 cables are about 7 feet and go to another 300 Amp Bus bar to distribute positive and negative using 3/0 wire to 2 Orient Power 6.5 Kw inverters. I've been reading up about Breakers vs ANL vs T Class fuses and it seems T class fuses would be best to protect the system.

Can I get away with just one T Class fuse on the 4/0 positive cable between the bus bars or do they need to be on each inverter? What specs do I need to look for? Any suggestions on getting a good deal on one?

Note: all my lug diameter sizes are 5/16.

Fuse protects the wire. I suggest a separate fuse on each battery. If you accidentally connect a drained battery with a charged one, you can get a lot of amps flowing between them. I think the smallest class t is 150 amps. Next best place is between the two busbars.

Aren't the t class fuses supposed to be as close as possible to the positive of each inverter?

I don't think these inverters draw more than 110 Amps. I'm afraid they might blow if they go to surge at 150 amps. Is a 250 amp fuse to high?

I don't like the pinch-to-remove fuse holder, can't seem to open without cracking it.
Consider the one with clips:

Aren't the t class fuses supposed to be as close as possible to the positive of each inverter?

As close as possible to the battery.

I don't think these inverters draw more than 110 Amps. I'm afraid they might blow if they go to surge at 150 amps. Is a 250 amp fuse to high?

250A fuse is allowed if cable ampacity is high enough.
Although fuse can't be depended on to protect electronics, it might. Less likely if higher amperage.

What is inverter wattage? Efficiency at max continuous wattage?

Fuses have a time-current curve which tolerates inverter's 2x surge for a few seconds.

Assuming:
5000W
50V
90% efficient
25% margin (allow heating and avoid nuisance trips)
12% ripple factor (battery doesn't supply DC, it supplies current looking like rectified sine wave)

5000W / 50V / 90% x 125% x 112% = 156A minimum recommended fuse.

In which case, smaller fuse holder and 175A fuse
(150A isn't much smaller, you'd likely get away with it using some of the 25% margin.)

2/0 cable would be good.

I think the smallest class t is 150 amps.

I found 110A

Class t fuse protect the wire. I would call them "slow blow", so your electronics will be fried by the time it blows if you rely upon them to protect electronics.

It also depends on what size battery you are running. If I have a stack of 25 to 30 kWh batteries, I'm going to parallel then into the system with its own t class fuse. And then I'll have a t class fuse for each inverter.

Might be overkill, but I don't trust those internal fuses. And my battery bank is a bit over 100 kilowatt hours right now I think.

Thanks for the clarification @Will Prowse !!

I have been reading for hours on the subject and keep going back and forth on either T Class Fuses or Midnight Solar 250A (MNEDC250) Breakers cause of their high AIC.
LOL.

Right now, I only have 10KwH battery bank, but hope to expand in the future. The manual doesn't say anything about fuses, but the inverter did come with an ANL fuse. I asked the manufacturer of the batteries and inverters that I bought (Orient Power) and they said: "Fuse is not required. Inverter inside has fuse"...

Back