diy solar

diy solar

Reconsidering Panel Placement and Utilizing Skip Wir

joaa

Dear All,

1685292259298.png

1685292404501.png

I would like to address an issue with the west-facing panels. During the installation process, an error was made, and the plus connection was placed next to the plus connection instead of being properly spaced. However, considering that the panels are arranged in a landscape orientation, I propose that we explore the possibility of utilizing skip wiring (also known as leapfrog wiring).

Since there is a significant distance between the first and second column of panels, the short length between the negative and negative connections may not be of great significance. Moreover, the distance between the two adjacent panels in the other columns is 1 meter, which is larger than the current spacing we have.
what do you think? Thanks

I skip wired my 9s arrays, it's nice having the main positive and negative at the same point.

I don't see any issues with it, as long as you do it correctly.

Well, if you have 500 panels, the options are flip 250 of them around or make 500 jumpers/extensions to do the leapfrog. From your initial post, I thought leapfrog was your initial idea, but now you are telling 42OhmsPA that's expensive?

Well, my technician is suggesting switching the panels, but I'm concerned about the potential fragility of the bolts that secure the PV panels to the structure. How can I calculate whether the leapfrog approach will be cost-effective or not? I should consider the number of MC4 connectors required and the cable distance between each panel and the third one.

Flip the panels or make the extension cables.
If done correctly, either will be fine.

500 cables means 1000 crimps seems like a much higher likelihood of error.

Flipping the panels around also makes the installer fix the issue they created, hopefully without additional expense to you.

500 panels... Wow. Just give some to me, then you won't have to pay for labor to flip them or extension leads...
I'd definitely leapfrog / skip wire if your leads are long enough, otherwise orient them correctly.

Back