diy solar

diy solar

Reliable product to replace Chinese all-in-one inverter

What diagram tool did you use to produce this and where did you get the templates?
Hello @realpinochet,
I've been using draw.io (it's web link, or alias diagrams.net) like since forever (I think over 15 years). The best tool ever, free, online (no registration/login, just run it), you can store data to clouds (like GDrive or Onedrive,...) or locally. Also standalone apps for Windows and Linux (I guess Mac too) are available. Making flow charts or other diagrams with this tool is piece of cake, for quick start you may google some video tutorial.
Draw.io has many objects available, like diagram symbols, network, piping, electrical and other symbols. For specific stuff, I just google a product using image search "i.e. Victron Multi RS" select best fitting and copy and paste that image into the diagram (or use Snip&Sketch alternative Spectacle on my Linux system(s) to copy part of the screen/image).
I've recently started to use LogSeq for notes and was thrilled to see a seamless integration of draw.io; in that case it's stored in local LogSeq data structure. And that is how I did it.

That diagram looks like it could have come from drawio. The pictures you do a screen cap of and just paste them in. The rest is part of the electrical templates included with drawio.
Good eye, it was a draw.io (from within LogSeq). I didn't used any electrical symbols/pictures though, I googled up specific products I have (where applicable) and pasted it into the diagram. It makes it clear. I had there also the Victron Multi RS, but overlayed it with a rounded rectangle to make it more general, not knowing if I end up purchasing that product.

Sunny Island 8.0H puts out 5kW up to 50 degrees C.

You would pair that with one or two Sunny Boys, which work up to 60 degrees C.

Or you can DC couple with SCC.
That actually looks like a great product, German company, 5 years warranty (up to 10), great properties. Sunny Island:
1715360422126.png

They're local and the price look like about $2000 for the Sunny Island and $1250 for Sunny Boy 6KW. If it's quality product branded in Germany, it it's not that terrible price, but it is more expensive than Victron Multi RS + Cerbo GX (a little more capable too, though). I'll look through more specs and properties. This looks, at the first sight, as feasible alternative to Victron.

Thank you for a good tip!

Those prices ($2000 and $1250) are too good to be true. MSRP of Sunny Island is ~$5750, and US model Sunny Boy was $2500. Street price a bit less.

We got bargains on SI in the US due to bankruptcy of a company which bought a huge quantity.
Sunny Boys, for off-grid I've tried to buy new old stock of earlier models for $0.10/W, i.e. $600 for 6kW.

The US models are made in Germany, US, or Canada.

If you can get such prices, go for it!

Note the great hot-weather performance is only for the highest model. Similar in the US, 6048US has strong performance, 4548US rapidly derates at higher temperature.

Those prices ($2000 and $1250) are too good to be true. MSRP of Sunny Island is ~$5750, and US model Sunny Boy was $2500. Street price a bit less.

We got bargains on SI in the US due to bankruptcy of a company which bought a huge quantity.
Sunny Boys, for off-grid I've tried to buy new old stock of earlier models for $0.10/W, i.e. $600 for 6kW.

The US models are made in Germany, US, or Canada.

If you can get such prices, go for it!

Note the great hot-weather performance is only for the highest model. Similar in the US, 6048US has strong performance, 4548US rapidly derates at higher temperature.
I was about to write, that I had to make a mistake and google a different model. When searching again and making notes I see it's like $3750 from local distribution. Sunny Boy 3.0 is $1500 from local distribution (the $1250 was eBay price). So definitely very expensive option.

It seems they also have all-in-one product for little $3000. More comparable to Multi RS + Cerbo in price and looks in functionality too.

SMA Sunny Tripower 5.0 Smart Energy STP5.0-3SE​

It seems to be a bit more confident in solar field size (7500W), but I'd still prefer Victron, unless some show stopper or complication pops up.

The Sunny Island + Sunny Boy system is very good.
With 1x 6kW SI you can connect 2x 6kW SB, and with over-paneling and multiple orientations, produce close to 12kW approaching 10 hours/day. 6kW to loads, 6kW to batteries. At night, draw 6kW from batteries.
SI can surge to 11.5kW for 3 seconds, enough to start 2kW or so induction motor.

I have 4x SI wired for 120/240V and some Sunny Boys. 20kWh AGM. meant for backup, not daily cycling. (got the SI for $0.25 on the dollar)

The TriPower Smart Energy is interesting, but uses expensive HV battery (don't know what BMS for DIY), and is an HF design with (I think) very limited surge capability. The specs I see for somewhat similar US models only surge to about 120% of continuous rating.

It includes transfer switch, good for grid-backup. I'm planning to install their US model Sunny Boy Smart Energy for my sister, and that model requires external transfer switch (and auto-transformer for split phase), bringing the cost to $5000 or so.

For the price you may get better performance from Victron.
If you spring the 3x or so cost for a Sunny island system, that should perform very well.

The Sunny Island + Sunny Boy system is very good.
With 1x 6kW SI you can connect 2x 6kW SB, and with over-paneling and multiple orientations, produce close to 12kW approaching 10 hours/day. 6kW to loads, 6kW to batteries. At night, draw 6kW from batteries.
SI can surge to 11.5kW for 3 seconds, enough to start 2kW or so induction motor.

I have 4x SI wired for 120/240V and some Sunny Boys. 20kWh AGM. meant for backup, not daily cycling. (got the SI for $0.25 on the dollar)

The TriPower Smart Energy is interesting, but uses expensive HV battery (don't know what BMS for DIY), and is an HF design with (I think) very limited surge capability. The specs I see for somewhat similar US models only surge to about 120% of continuous rating.

It includes transfer switch, good for grid-backup. I'm planning to install their US model Sunny Boy Smart Energy for my sister, and that model requires external transfer switch (and auto-transformer for split phase), bringing the cost to $5000 or so.

For the price you may get better performance from Victron.
If you spring the 3x or so cost for a Sunny island system, that should perform very well.
It does sound like you got your Sunny for a good price 👍

For me the hi-spec power is not an issue, I produce like 8 months a year more than I can use with the little I have already. So my main goal is to improve user experience and utilization. Particularly utilization of Heat Pump, which is used year-round for heating water. With the SunStone 5 KW AIO inverter I believe it sometimes kicked out power or switched to grid (different replacement units behaved differently, having different faults 🙃 bellow 4 kW of real power. That was issue with my heat pump, even though it's a small 9 kW output (it uses like 4+ times less power from spring to autumn, so definitely under 3 kW at full blast) pump with inverter "soft" start without surges. It may use over 3 kW during start up though, and with other appliances on (i.e. fridge kicks in, etc), it caused some troubles, so I didn't use it.
The surge is of course true with power tools and such, as you describe it.
Someone claimed in Victron forum, that Multi RS solar can take also up to 11 kW surges, but I think it was a mistake and the author confused EasySolar and Multi RS units.
And that brings me to my unresolved point, that I started to think again about (before you even wrote the post :)): What's better - 4 kW with large surge capacity (i.e. EasySolar II) or 5 kW with a small surge capacity?

Elaborating on that using ChatGPT:
- For the Victron MultiPlus-II 48/6000, the surge capacity is typically around 15,000 watts (15 kW) for a few seconds. This surge capacity allows the inverter to handle appliances and equipment that require a higher starting current than their normal operating power.
- The Victron Multi RS 48/6000 is a specific model within Victron's range of inverter/chargers. For this particular model, the surge capacity of the output power is typically around 12,000 watts (12 kW) for a few seconds.

Both sounds fantastic, but I don't know if true. ChatGPT is not always getting correct results and Victron forum is full of contradicting opinions. The Multi RS manual states:
High peak power - The inverter is able to supply a maximum AC output power to a peak 9000W or 50A AC, for 3 seconds. Thissupports smooth operation for motor start up and other demanding surge loads.Continuous power output, with solar boost - Continuous output power at 25C t ambient, at 52VDC, is 5300W. When combinedwith solar power from the built-in MPPT this increases approximately 10% to 5800W.
...which is very good as well! Totally fine for power tools and I hope also for the heat pump.
One consideration I found is, that Multi RS is a new product and is only kind of developing within Victron's portfolio and there is much less experience and community support.

I should also say, that the switch between grid and solar system for the heat pump is now manual, but I plan to replace it with a smart switch and employ some kind of rules management when the pump is allowed to use solar system (based on season, time, battery SOC or even cloud overcast forecast) and also set water tank preheating for certain times, etc.

Last edited:
Victron's forum. I wasn't banned, only 1 post of mine was locked for replies with a moderator reply, that my question is too broad. I was thinking of rephrasing the question to be clear that I ask for answer like "Multi RS solar + Cerbo GX" or "Multiplus+XXX MPPT+YYY+CerboGX", but I don't think it was misunderstood. I think they don't want to do it, though I don't understand why. It's scaring customers away right at the beginning (those who don't have an electrician/company experienced in Victron products nearby).
I looked up to Multiplus+Smartsolar MPPT vs Multi RS and find out that first option cannot mix DC current from mttp and internal charger. Multi RS can do it, because of internal DC bus, so you can utilize grid in more smart way

diy solar

diy solar
Back