diy solar

diy solar

Renogy 1000w UPS Inverter Noise

Watchamawho

Hi all.

So when my Renogy Inverter is NOT running off grid supply (ie, it's running off a Lifepo4 12v pack) it very emits a high pitched whine (approx 12,000hz) that is quite loud and obnoxious, it usually lasts for about 3-10 minutes just before it's internal fan kicks in for about 60 seconds, once the fan starts, the sound goes away.

then, within about 10-15 or so minutes of silent operation, the whine returns, to last another 3-10 minutes before the fan kicks in, rinse and repeat until grid supply is restored.

The unit is about a year old, and i've tolerated the noise for the last 6 or so months but it's becoming far too annoying now. Is there anything i can do? Is there a particular part in these prone to failing i could replace? I've been told i could maybe add a "choke" to it but, as the unit is designed to provide power seemlessly on grid failure (as it's a UPS) there is concern that a choke could cause a significant voltage spike.

Any ideas? I'd rather avoid sending it back if at all possible as that'll prove to be a major pita for me. Any help would be really appreciated.

Back