diy solar

diy solar

How loud is loud? Xw pro and eg4 charge controller noise and vibration.

Joe_

I’m using 2 xw pro’s and two eg4 100 charge controllers.
I have often read in posts that these charge controllers and inverter chargers are loud when operating. Is there any way to quantify that?
I realize loud is subjective. However can someone who has similar equipment give me a better description that might let me duplicate that level of sound approximately so I can do some testing?

I am looking at locations to place my equipment. I live in a well built manufactured home
I have read that there can be quite a bit of fan noise and transformer noise from this equipment .

I have one location that I would love to use but has a bedroom on the other side of the wall from it.
It is a fairly ideal location relative to the main panel. It cuts out a lot of electrical work, surge protection equipment, kw being consumed by air conditioning load, and expensive lightening protection products that will be required if I place the equipment outside in an insulated shipping container.

If the equipment ends up in the house I‘ll be building a second wall about an inch from the existing bedroom wall because the house walls are unlikely sturdy enough to support the weight properly. I need 8 feet of equipment mounting wall but could extend the wall further and take measures to minimize sound transmission. It’s a lot of work placing the equipment in either location. If placed in the house I don’t want to build more sound proofing than I need because of the expense and the work involved. I can also blow insulation into the existing bedroom wall and put a second layer of drywall over it if needed. But that is something that must be done before construction of the wall the equipment will be mounted on. It will be impossible to retrofit that insulation into the stud cavities once the equipment has been installed on a second wall in front of the original bedroom wall.
It’s one of those things that need to be done correctly the first time, if I choose to go that route. If it is simply a matter of fan noise perhaps using a ducted blower in place of the equipment fans might be an option and the wall can be placed on the existing carpet or neoprene stripping to further isolate the building from vibration.

Is the expected noise similar to a 50” tv with the volume on med or high listening to the news or is it actually more?
Is it like lifting the hood of a car when it running. Or perhaps more like the car with the hood up is idling then the radiator cooling fan kicks on? That level of noise?

Do either of these companies, eg4 or Schneider publish decibel numbers so I could buy a db meter and simulate the noise level on site?

I’m trying to figure out what it would take sound proofing wise ($$) to place the equipment inside vs the cost of a much further away location which will require additional air conditioning kw load on the system, an additional $300-400 dollars for wire plus additional $3-400 for surge protection devices for the rs485 lines and power lines.

If you have this equipment or work around it and are willing to describe how loud it is at it’s worse moments I’d be quite appreciative. I realize it’s not going to be a perfect description but I’ll be happy with whatever I can get. My only other option is to set it all up in one location, try to load it up till it’s making peak noise. Then determine what I need and make my decision from that.

Thanks.

Can the xw pros ac couple? For not a lot more you can get a grid tie inverter that is dead silent- then you only have to worry about the noise of the xw pros

The fan on the XW pro is quiet and even when running its just the whoosh of moving air, no high pitched server fan noise.

However, the inverter hums noticably under load. I've got it inside the garage on the opposite wall from the kitchen. At full tilt, we just barely can hear it in the kitchen. The house was built in the 60's, so the insulation is crap, but still, the noise travels across a 2 car garage and through a wall with sheetrock on both sides.

When loads are low, it's much quieter, the sound is definitely proportional to the load.

I don't have a decibel meter and every TV volume is different and car engines don't all sound the same.

Where are you located? Maybe someone with your equipment would let you take a listen.

Can the xw pros ac couple? For not a lot more you can get a grid tie inverter that is dead silent- then you only have to worry about the noise of the xw pros
I’m setting up for dc coupling. Grid tie is not an option in my area.
The fan on the XW pro is quiet and even when running its just the whoosh of moving air, no high pitched server fan noise.

However, the inverter hums noticably under load. I've got it inside the garage on the opposite wall from the kitchen. At full tilt, we just barely can hear it in the kitchen. The house was built in the 60's, so the insulation is crap, but still, the noise travels across a 2 car garage and through a wall with sheetrock on both sides.

When loads are low, it's much quieter, the sound is definitely proportional to the load.

I don't have a decibel meter and every TV volume is different and car engines don't all sound the same.

Where are you located? Maybe someone with your equipment would let you take a listen.

That‘s interesting. Thank you for the description. I’m southeast of Phoenix in the Sonoran desert.
Does this describe what you’re hearing?
Low frequency vibration rather than higher frequency volume. More like a subwoofer than a mid range speaker?

You will need a double wall with sound barrier between them. The Hum and fan noise will couple through a wall bad otherwise. I can hear my 18kpv when it's fans are on full tilt but not bad, however a Growatt 6000T was unbearable in the same location.

Is it bad enough that slapping a layer or two of MLV is not enough? (Ie throwing mass only at the problem, and not also adding isolators)
That is what I am wondering.
This would lead me to think that an isolated wall at the minimum is necessary. Ugh.

I really don’t know.

I’ll have to do more reading. Were in a remote area.
There is very little background noise, which adds to the problem.
Thanks for the replies.

It gives me a much better idea of what I am dealing with. I’ll have to think on this for a while.
Placing it in my insulated container is looking more promising at the moment even with the added cost of lightening suppression on the communications lines Etc. Lot less labor.

Last edited:
That is what I am wondering.
It might not be that bad to isolate just the footprint of an inverter, however the sound could conduct through conduit. And if I was doing this I would be worried about how much weight an isolated wall can hold. I don't think you can use the same isolators as a regular wall with nothing much mounted to it.

There are probably products for replacing directly screwing with lags / nails with something isolated that can carry similar load (but probably a lot more expensive than a screw).

I think you can also test / dry fit an idea before committing to modifying a wall, as long as you are willing to buy the solar equipment beforehand and temporary mount it.

I’m using 2 xw pro’s and two eg4 100 charge controllers.
I have often read in posts that these charge controllers and inverter chargers are loud when operating. Is there any way to quantify that?
I realize loud is subjective. However can someone who has similar equipment give me a better description that might let me duplicate that level of sound approximately so I can do some testing?

I am looking at locations to place my equipment. I live in a well built manufactured home
I have read that there can be quite a bit of fan noise and transformer noise from this equipment .

I have one location that I would love to use but has a bedroom on the other side of the wall from it.
It is a fairly ideal location relative to the main panel. It cuts out a lot of electrical work, surge protection equipment, kw being consumed by air conditioning load, and expensive lightening protection products that will be required if I place the equipment outside in an insulated shipping container.

If the equipment ends up in the house I‘ll be building a second wall about an inch from the existing bedroom wall because the house walls are unlikely sturdy enough to support the weight properly. I need 8 feet of equipment mounting wall but could extend the wall further and take measures to minimize sound transmission. It’s a lot of work placing the equipment in either location. If placed in the house I don’t want to build more sound proofing than I need because of the expense and the work involved. I can also blow insulation into the existing bedroom wall and put a second layer of drywall over it if needed. But that is something that must be done before construction of the wall the equipment will be mounted on. It will be impossible to retrofit that insulation into the stud cavities once the equipment has been installed on a second wall in front of the original bedroom wall.
It’s one of those things that need to be done correctly the first time, if I choose to go that route. If it is simply a matter of fan noise perhaps using a ducted blower in place of the equipment fans might be an option and the wall can be placed on the existing carpet or neoprene stripping to further isolate the building from vibration.

Is the expected noise similar to a 50” tv with the volume on med or high listening to the news or is it actually more?
Is it like lifting the hood of a car when it running. Or perhaps more like the car with the hood up is idling then the radiator cooling fan kicks on? That level of noise?

Do either of these companies, eg4 or Schneider publish decibel numbers so I could buy a db meter and simulate the noise level on site?

I’m trying to figure out what it would take sound proofing wise ($$) to place the equipment inside vs the cost of a much further away location which will require additional air conditioning kw load on the system, an additional $300-400 dollars for wire plus additional $3-400 for surge protection devices for the rs485 lines and power lines.

If you have this equipment or work around it and are willing to describe how loud it is at it’s worse moments I’d be quite appreciative. I realize it’s not going to be a perfect description but I’ll be happy with whatever I can get. My only other option is to set it all up in one location, try to load it up till it’s making peak noise. Then determine what I need and make my decision from that.

Thanks.
If it doesn't get that cold where you are, I'd opt for a solar shed. Much easier to expand and it will be quiet.

The EG4 MPPT are loud when full PV is being pulled. Noise is similar to the EG4 6500EX when full PV power is pulled. Mine are in the basement. I can hear the fans thru the floor when in the room above that doesn't have carpet on the floor.

If I was to insulate the joist cavity, it would cut down the noise. I actually will be insulating the cavity when I install the hydronic heat. In your case, I think if you did add another wall with sound deadening it should be fine. I know the road noise from the highway will drown out the fan noise if a truck goes by. House is at least 200 feet from highway.

It might not be that bad to isolate just the footprint of an inverter, however the sound could conduct through conduit. And if I was doing this I would be worried about how much weight an isolated wall can hold. I don't think you can use the same isolators as a regular wall with nothing much mounted to it.

There are probably products for replacing directly screwing with lags / nails with something isolated that can carry similar load (but probably a lot more expensive than a screw).

I think you can also test / dry fit an idea before committing to modifying a wall, as long as you are willing to buy the solar equipment beforehand and temporary mount it.
I have the equipment on site already.

I reviewed the power study of the kw draw of my ac on the insulated container I have on my property. That study was done in the hottest part of the summer to see how much power I would have to supply with batteries after peak solar hours passes if I placed all the equipment in that shipping container .

Happily once the container reaches the set temperature the AC only consumes a lot of wattage during peak solar hours.
If need be I can add extra pv to compensate for the power consumption of the AC during that time.
Once the sun sets the AC uses surprisingly little power until sunrise when again the container is being solar heated.

From 5 pm to 7pm is the only time that I’ll have to pull non solar generated power from the grid or batteries to feed to the mini split, and at a much power usage than say at noon or 1pm.

It’s much easier to mount that equipment in the shipping container also. There are no immediate neighbors for any noise to bother if the outer skin vibrates. Life is looking up.

I will be starting a thread looking for advice on the placement of surge protection due to my rs485, pv dc, and AC in and out feeds running in underground conduit runs looking for advice on where they are best placed in the run.
It’s complicated or perhaps not. I‘m not exactly certain what I need. I explain in that thread.

Last edited:
If it doesn't get that cold where you are, I'd opt for a solar shed. Much easier to expand and it will be quiet.
I’m putting it out in a shipping container that I have. Placing it next to a bedroom and getting it right is more of a project than I can do I realized as this thread progressed.
The EG4 MPPT are loud when full PV is being pulled. Noise is similar to the EG4 6500EX when full PV power is pulled. Mine are in the basement. I can hear the fans thru the floor when in the room above that doesn't have carpet on the floor.

If I was to insulate the joist cavity, it would cut down the noise. I actually will be insulating the cavity when I install the hydronic heat. In your case, I think if you did add another wall with sound deadening it should be fine. I know the road noise from the highway will drown out the fan noise if a truck goes by. House is at least 200 feet from highway.
Thanks for the heads up on the noise of the eg4 mppt fans.

That is going to be awkward. The container I am placing my equipment in is also my work shop. It’s only 7-1/2 ft wide.
I’d hate to have to wear hearing protection the entire time I’m working out there due to always working in close proximity of the equipment.
But thanks for letting me know. I keep this in mind.

Last edited:
I’m putting it out in a shipping container that I have. Placing it next to a bedroom and getting it right is more of a project than I can do I realized as this thread progressed.

Thanks for the heads up on the noise of the eg4 mppt fans.

That is going to be awkward. The container I am placing my equipment in is also my work shop. It’s only 7-1/2 ft wide.
I’d hate to have to wear hearing protection the entire time I’m working out there due to always working in close proximity of the equipment.
But thanks for letting me know. I keep this in mind.
Inverters do hum annoyingly but not really to the point of hearing protection. Maybe wall off one end of the container with fireproof / sound adsorbing drywall and make that a ventilated solar equipment / battery closet?

I'm building a power house of roughly the same dimensions for my inverter, batteries on one end, fireproof walls (with either concrete block walls or multi-layer drywall over staggered 2x4 construction) with generators in other end ( gen side open vented with all generators of fully exterior exhausted and cooling air vented type and with multiple CO detectors). With all exhaust and combustion air pulled outside, I found that in my previous similar temporary gen shed that the fan inflows are enough for pulling cooling and ventilation, if passive vents are large enough and designed aerodynamically.
Powerhouse.png

Since you need to have batteries on short cables which means right next to inverter anyways, good to have both outside in a fireproof seacan well away from your house.

My cousin's offgrid garage / solar shed / generator shed and workshop burned down due to some electrical problem and he lost his generator and all his tools etc., so worth isolating the burny bits!

Regarding surge protection, best to at least have Midnight solar surge devices on both the DC PV side, and AC Inverter output side. They are available in a range of voltages. Choose the surge protector to have a voltage just above the peak to peak AC or DC working voltage of the application.

Did you settle on the EG4 batteries as well?

Attachments

• Powerhouse.png
    Powerhouse.png
    310.8 KB · Views: 1
Back