diy solar

diy solar

Renogy 500A battery monitor not registering alternator current...

Monarch_of_the_Glen

Hi All,
I have a really confusing issue with the battery monitor:

My Renogy battery monitor does not register the current coming from the starter battery when driving, but it does register the current from solar & for AC hookup.
When driving the DC home app shows solar current + alternator current and a total charging current, but the shunt/monitor is only registering the solar...

I'm sure there's more current it going in than just solar as the voltage went from 13.2v to 14.1v after the last 2hr stint (but quickly dropped back to 13.2).

I've attached the wiring diagram (there are breakers but I didn't show them for speed).

(also attached the wiring diagram from the Renogy website)

Many thanks

1680489214405.png

wiring__28486.1659692133.jpg

Is this a DC-DC/MPPT combo device? Can you connect to the BMS on the batteries to see how many amps they are registering?

Voltage does not always mean current. If your batteries are at full capacity you will see the voltage increase, but it’s most likely that only half an amp or less is going in.

Your shunt will not know whether the solar or the Dc-Dc charger is adding power to your battery bank. If you would like to see how much you’re getting from each charging source you will need to isolate each charging source and take notes. Perform the following experiments after draining half your battery capacity in amps, not volts:

Experiment 1: on a bright sunny day record how many amps are going into your battery bank just from solar.

Experiment 2: that same night as experiment 1 run the engine and record how many amps are going into the batteries from the Dc-Dc charger.

Experiment 3: on a bright sunny day with batteries fraud to 50% run the engine and record how many amps are going into your battery bank from both the solar and Dc-Dc charger. It should be close to the sum of experiment 1 results + experiment t 2 results.

If you perform my experiments above and it all checks out then there’s nothing wrong with your setup and it’s most likely a reporting issue in the app.

Back