diy solar

diy solar

Renogy batteries

Thank you . For the information. I wish I bought a different brand but I'm in the middle of eventually upgrading brands? Watching video of will made me ok with renogy. My new issue is its terminal coming loose periodically.

The bolts don't match the terminal socket so sloppy will strip if tightened up . Still waiting on renogy to respond to a fix. What would you do to fix and keep batteries? I thought a little plumbing tape ?

It will just help take up space less loose and less connected in the threads but terminals surface is still great?

Or tapping out but loose warranty possible not much of one anyway. Or return? I dont want this but should to be in warranty window. please advise

Go to the hardware store and get the right bolts. You will have to tap the terminals again if theyre boogered. A tap and die kit or maybe the hardware store would do it for you. Take a battery in they will get it all taken care of.

Go to the harsware store and get the right bolts. You will have to tap the terminals again if theyre boogered. A tap and die kit or maybe the hardware store would do it.
I originally took battery to hardware store to try to find bolts but the ones used are super fine and hard to find . I was looking for the next size up bolt but not having. I'll have to see what renogy says Monday I dont want to void my warranty.

I originally took battery to hardware store to try to find bolts but the ones used are super fine and hard to find . I was looking for the next size up bolt but not having. I'll have to see what renogy says Monday I dont want to void my warranty.
If I tap larger and commonly found bolt size issue is bottom of terminal hole limits tapping distance in ? Thoughts of drilling in and tapping but dont know what's just below cant open sealed in tight .

What size bolts are you using???
Are you using metric or standard thread???
How do you expect help if you do not say what bolts you used?
Of course as the Renogy batteries are made in China the bolts are metric.

Are you using 5/16" bolts in the 8mm threads???

8 mm bolts come with these threads.
M8 x 1.25
M8 x 1.00
M8 x 0.75

The Renogy website gives you the METRIC size 8 mm and 0.75 pitch thread.
Terminal Model: M8x0.75x14mm

Most info about your battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ped

A hardware store or a lowes or home depot? Real, old school hardware stores will have any bolt you can imagine. Isles of them all organized.

But it doesnt matter, MBR did all the work needed - M8x0.75x14mm

A hardware store or a lowes or home depot? Real, old school hardware stores will have any bolt you can imagine. Isles of them all organized.

But it doesnt matter, MBR did all the work needed - M8x0.75x14mm
I went to a few regular places lowes depo ect then industrial bolt and marine supply this thread is super fine and one size to small or stud base is cast and cooled to big? I'm still looking

What size bolts are you using???
Are you using metric or standard thread???
How do you expect help if you do not say what bolts you used?
Of course as the Renogy batteries are made in China the bolts are metric.

Are you using 5/16" bolts in the 8mm threads???

8 mm bolts come with these threads.
M8 x 1.25
M8 x 1.00
M8 x 0.75

The Renogy website gives you the METRIC size 8 mm and 0.75 pitch thread.
Terminal Model: M8x0.75x14mm

Most info about your battery.
I'm using original bolts from renogy which are 8mm x.75mm . And this fit is very loose .if tightening up it strips out it's so loose I dont tighten like you could with quality product

Well then you'd have to tap for m9 or m10. Can try retapping m8 first. A tap and die kit will have a thread gauge to make sure its .75

Well then you'd have to tap for m9 or m10. Can try retapping m8 first. A tap and die kit will have a thread gauge to make sure its .75
I was going to order a tap for m9 and m10 and stay with the same .75mm threads . But came to thinking I could change thread pitch to something standard and ready available . Thank you for helping me think threw. My better half passed and my head still isn't fully focused

Highly suggest sticking to .75 again metric bolts should not be hard to find at all. Got to find normal hardware store NOT home depot.

I'm using original bolts from renogy which are 8mm x.75mm . And this fit is very loose .if tightening up it strips out it's so loose I dont tighten like you could with quality product
Get Renogy to allow return of your defective batteries and refund your money?
Then buy Battle Born.
If Renogy will not refund then you could install 8 mm studs that have no heads so
you would never have to remove them again.
Only remove the nut from the permanent stud that is red loctited in the battery.

The Renogy Smart 100Ah uses 8mm 1.00 bolts so try that thread pitch.

Note: from Renogy.

• Please be aware that if the batteries' Battery Management System (BMS) is activated and the battery voltage shows 0V, you must use a compatible Li charger to reactivate our Li batteries.
  • Make sure to tightly screw the battery terminals in, having loose battery terminals will cause the terminals to build up heat resulting in damage to the battery.
  • DO NOT string this battery in series. It is made ONLY for parallel connections using identical batteries.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ped
Get Renogy to allow return of your defective batteries and refund your money?
Then buy Battle Born.
If Renogy will not refund then you could install 8 mm studs that have no heads so
you would never have to remove them again.
Only remove the nut from the permanent stud that is red loctited in the battery.

The Renogy Smart 100Ah uses 8mm 1.00 bolts so try that thread pitch.

Note: from Renogy.

• Please be aware that if the batteries' Battery Management System (BMS) is activated and the battery voltage shows 0V, you must use a compatible Li charger to reactivate our Li batteries.
  • Make sure to tightly screw the battery terminals in, having loose battery terminals will cause the terminals to build up heat resulting in damage to the battery.
  • DO NOT string this battery in series. It is made ONLY for parallel connections using identical batteries.
The bolts that came with batteries are 8 m x .75mm pitch . Watching and waiting on renogy reply. Was eventually going to do as you suggested oral target. Hoped it was a good brand by viewing videos nobody mentioned the looseness issue. Think it's the company's way to get rid of them and phase out to the newer smart battery they .have

I just had the same thing happen. What did you end up doing?
I just kept on them about how much slop that was present and I asked if it's so important to have a tight connection what is the measurement of tightness and that couldn't give one . Mine were in my truck and when I drive I had to check its tightness and because of warranty I didn't just tap out and change size of bolt ,but did a return instead. I'm waiting on my replacements next week and I expressed importantance on them checking new batteries as I didn't want same issue again

diy solar

diy solar
Back