diy solar

diy solar

renogy dc-dc 50A, activate/de-activate alternator charging

What is a 'VSR'?

They use them to connect 2 batteries of same chemistry in parallel. But I could see where it possibly would work to control a DC to DC Charger.

"A Voltage sensitive relay uses an internal switching mechanism based on the voltage signal it is receiving from the starting battery. It is installed between the start battery and an auxiliary battery as a way of automatically connecting or isolating the two batteries based on a factory pre-set voltage range on the VSR. For the majority of VSR’s on the market, it will sit in an isolated state until it reads 13.2V from the start battery for more than 5 seconds (this occurs shortly after turning on the engine) then it completes the circuit. This has the same effect of connecting the two batteries in parallel, allowing the flow of volts and amps between the two batteries. The relay will stay in this active state until such time as the relay reads the voltage of the starting battery has dropped below 12.7V for around 10 secs, then isolates the batteries from each other. It does this as it assumes the engine is now off and that no further power is coming from the alternator. This ensures the loads on the auxiliary battery cannot run down the start battery when the engine isn’t running."

Substitute auxiliary battery with DC to DC charger. If hooked to a DC to DC, it should sense the increase in starter battery voltage. I don't know what "voltage' would be present on an isolated DC to DC but I would assume maybe even 0V. It should work, I guess you can be the test subject Walter. :)

Back