diy solar

diy solar

Renogy DC w/ MPPT vs EPEVER MPPT

joshuaaa

I've setup off-grid solar before, but never one tied to an alternator. I'm getting ready to install a ~400W solar setup on my trailer, and I'd like the alternator to be able to charge the batteries while driving .

I really like the idea of the Renogy DCC50S, 12V 50A Dc-DC Charger w/ MPPT, buy my biggest complaint is the lack of information about the battery/solar/load. On top of the $300 for the 'all-in-one' unit, I'd have to spend at least another $100 to get a decent battery/solar monitoring system.

For example, 2 of these (one for PV in and one for load):
Plus one of these:

In contrast, the EPEVER 50A MPPT charge controller is compatible with up to 150V PV and up to 48V batteries, all for only $215. Plus, it comes with a 'remote' screen that shows what the PV is producing, the battery state, and the system load. It seems to me, that for MPPT charging, the EPEVER is far superior to the Renogy DCC50S.

I could also save $40 and drop to the 40A version.

To get alternator charging, I could add a Renogy 20A DC to DC charger for $116. Since I'd like the DC to DC charger to be in the trailer, could I wire the the ignition wire through a manual switch and then to the auxiliary power from the trailer plug?

To get the Renogy all-in-one plus monitors seems like a lot more money that getting the EPEVER plus a DC to DC charger.

I'm leaning towards the EPEVER, what are your thoughts?

Is there a better/cheaper DC to DC charger that has voltage detection instead of the ignition input?

Thanks.

You might want to look at this one. I think a few members are using this and this is what I am planning to use. Fully programmable, will work with a max of 50v solar input and you can get a remote mounted screen, if you want to mount the unit hidden (which has a screen built in).

Gives you the advantages of both of the units you are looking at.

the Renogy BT-2 connects to the DCC50S and enables control and data review on a smart phone.

@joshuaaa Hey, which route did you end up going?

I've got a Victron right now but really loving the idea of the Renogy charging my starter battery in my Highlander because if I happen to forget to close a door, the vehicle computer stays on and drains my starter battery. I learned my lesson, but still having the Renogy in place to charge both the accessory and starter battery seems pretty sweet.

I’Ve been mulling over this and I’m going for the Epever Tracer BN option and Renolgy DC to DC charger. There are a number of factors for this

first is availability. Here in NZ my options are limited

Second is better charge rates. With a planned 200ah lifepo4 battery I can get more juice in quicker

third is cost. The 2 units come in at the same price as the single renogy or kisae dc to dc mppt

disadvantages - it’s not going to be as neat and it’s going to take up more room

@ianganderton I hear ya. I've already got the Victron 20A MPPT with the BT temp sensor on my starter battery (which is my current very basic solar rig). I've got a Battleborn on the way and am building things out to attach to the Battleborn. The simplicity of all in one is nice but that also means to can only do what that device can do... trade offs. The key thing that is drawing me to the Renogy DCDC MPPT is that it can charge my starter battery as well, though if I'm using my battleborn it'll likely be never topped off while I'm out camping.

I guess taking a step back and asking myself what am I trying to solve for... I'm trying to plan ahead for a low starter battery while I'm off grid. Running jumper cables off the battleborn seems a little foolish/not sure that's ideal for it either to help start the vehicle if the starter battery is low.

Most of my decisions are basted on trying to keep costs down, while still having a decently robust and expandable system. If you have more money, you may make different decisions. I certainly would have made different decisions if I'd had more money to throw at the problem.

In my camper, I installed an Epever 50A (was going to get 40A, but it was out of stock) w/ 200 watts of solar and it works great. I haven't added the DC-DC charger yet - currently, I have completely disconnected the trailer battery from the alternator.

Most of my camping is within 2-4 hours of home - so I don't consider the DC charger essential right now. I've only been on one (3 day) campout since installing my solar setup, and 200w was sufficient. If I find that 200w isn't enough, I'd add a few more panels before adding a DC-DC charger. That's because most of the camping I am doing right now is 3-5 nights in a single spot.

I do want to take the family on further road trips at some point. For example, 2-3 weeks along the west coast spending a few days at each of the National Parks / historic sites. Before I do, I'll definitely add a DC-DC charger.

As far as the tow vehicle, I have a 60W foldable w/ PWM that I can throw on my dashboard and plug into the car socket if I have battery problems - never had to do so, but I take it road trips just in case. If I was at all worried about my car battery, I'd get it out and hook it up. I normally only pull around 30W from the panel, but that is plenty to keep the car battery topped off.

Since I'd like the DC to DC charger to be in the trailer, could I wire the the ignition wire through a manual switch and then to the auxiliary power from the trailer plug?
Did you do this? I have the same question. Thanks.

You might want to look at this one. I think a few members are using this and this is what I am planning to use. Fully programmable, will work with a max of 50v solar input and you can get a remote mounted screen, if you want to mount the unit hidden (which has a screen built in).

Gives you the advantages of both of the units you are looking at.
Everything except charging 24V batteries. Renogy has the same myopia.

Did you do this? I have the same question. Thanks.
The victron DC2DC charger has an “ignition sense” so that it isolates from the tow vehicle while it is not running. You do have to assure the trailer connector’s harness has the proper gage wire for the load but that’s the least ‘thought overhead’ versus a manual switch imho
Typically once you have 400W or 600W of solar and enough batteries it’s a non-issue but I can see the desirability.
There’s also a couple super low-buck means to accomplish vehicle charging if one is good with electrical and knows how to not burn stuff down.

I'm going to phase out my Epever Tracers and switch to Victron. Not happy with the overvolting caused by cloud edge effects and heavy loads.

In your case I would stick to a DC-DC charger with an PV input. It doesn't necessarily have to be Renogy, just any good quality manufacturer.

The victron DC2DC charger has an “ignition sense” so that it isolates from the tow vehicle while it is not running. You do have to assure the trailer connector’s harness has the proper gage wire for the load but that’s the least ‘thought overhead’ versus a manual switch imho
Typically once you have 400W or 600W of solar and enough batteries it’s a non-issue but I can see the desirability.
There’s also a couple super low-buck means to accomplish vehicle charging if one is good with electrical and knows how to not burn stuff down.
I am using the Renogy DCC30S (combined DCDC with MPPT) in Airstream 16. This unit was well reviewed by Prowse, saves space that is at premium in small trailer. I want both charging modes as I am in Canada, sunlight is limited in winter, and we tend to drive sufficient distances so the DCDC will be effective. I have 200 Ah of lithium and I am thinking of 300-400W portable panels. Pin 4 on the harness has 12V or more when ignition is on, so I think connecting to that terminal inside the trailer should work. The DC box is under the front bench, which is where I plan to install the Renogy and may see about moving the batteries into that space as well from the tongue box.

Curious: What are "cloud edge effects?"
“Lensing”
You can occasionally get more than 100% of your panel max voltage - sometimes suddenly- when the sun peaks through or around a cloud putting more than full-sun insolence onto your panels. Think of burning a hole in a piece of paper with a magnifying glass. I saw 12A at over 14V once on a PWM with two parallel 100W commodity panels. It blew my mind. It’s more an anomaly of the sun and panels than it is about the controller.
Nevertheless- my inverter freaked out pretty bad running my shop vac one day when the SCC was equalizing in full sun with the batteries completely full I guess. When I turned the shop vac on the volts spiked like way over 16V and shut down the inverter repeatedly.
It’s not normally a problem; that was the first time I experienced the issue. That never happened at 200- or 400W but it does at 600W and 35A+

Curious: What are "cloud edge effects?"

It's how a 2970W array puts out 3500W a few days ago in winter sun:

1639261652347.png

Year-round tilt, December sun, 165° azimuth, 30 minutes after peak solar.

Cloud shade/ambient cools the panels well below their spec temperature. Panel gets a full dose of solar with boosted voltage due to cold temps.

This occurs as the "edge" of a cloud's shadow leaves the panel.

I am using the Renogy DCC30S (combined DCDC with MPPT) in Airstream 16. This unit was well reviewed by Prowse, saves space that is at premium in small trailer. I want both charging modes as I am in Canada, sunlight is limited in winter, and we tend to drive sufficient distances so the DCDC will be effective. I have 200 Ah of lithium and I am thinking of 300-400W portable panels. Pin 4 on the harness has 12V or more when ignition is on, so I think connecting to that terminal inside the trailer should work. The DC box is under the front bench, which is where I plan to install the Renogy and may see about moving the batteries into that space as well from the tongue box.
Before you buy panels, look at max voltage of mppt. The biggest downside with renogy combo units is a max voltage of 24v.

Everything except charging 24V batteries. Renogy has the same myopia.
Bob, I am looking for 24v components too. I was looking at the Kasie DMT2430 MPPT controller / charger. Did you see that one from Kasie? It looks like it could charge my 24v house and my 12v van batteries (simultaneously?). It also appears to have the LFP charging with their 2 stage charging I was looking for. It it 3 stage charge but stage 3 is zero. It has the low temp (freezing) shutdown for Lithium. But it only charges 30 Amps at 24v. They have a charger only # AC2430 that looks good for my shore power. Thanks I did not know about 24v Kasie stuff till I saw you post above and decided to look.

I've setup off-grid solar before, but never one tied to an alternator. I'm getting ready to install a ~400W solar setup on my trailer, and I'd like the alternator to be able to charge the batteries while driving .

I really like the idea of the Renogy DCC50S, 12V 50A Dc-DC Charger w/ MPPT, buy my biggest complaint is the lack of information about the battery/solar/load. On top of the $300 for the 'all-in-one' unit, I'd have to spend at least another $100 to get a decent battery/solar monitoring system.

For example, 2 of these (one for PV in and one for load):
Plus one of these:

In contrast, the EPEVER 50A MPPT charge controller is compatible with up to 150V PV and up to 48V batteries, all for only $215. Plus, it comes with a 'remote' screen that shows what the PV is producing, the battery state, and the system load. It seems to me, that for MPPT charging, the EPEVER is far superior to the Renogy DCC50S.

I could also save $40 and drop to the 40A version.

To get alternator charging, I could add a Renogy 20A DC to DC charger for $116. Since I'd like the DC to DC charger to be in the trailer, could I wire the the ignition wire through a manual switch and then to the auxiliary power from the trailer plug?

To get the Renogy all-in-one plus monitors seems like a lot more money that getting the EPEVER plus a DC to DC charger.

I'm leaning towards the EPEVER, what are your thoughts?

Is there a better/cheaper DC to DC charger that has voltage detection instead of the ignition input?

Thanks.
I have 3 of the EPEVERS, very solid units.

Tracer4215BN​

Bob, I am looking for 24v components too. I was looking at the Kasie DMT2430 MPPT controller / charger. Did you see that one from Kasie? It looks like it could charge my 24v house and my 12v van batteries (simultaneously?). It also appears to have the LFP charging with their 2 stage charging I was looking for. It it 3 stage charge but stage 3 is zero. It has the low temp (freezing) shutdown for Lithium. But it only charges 30 Amps at 24v. They have a charger only # AC2430 that looks good for my shore power. Thanks I did not know about 24v Kasie stuff till I saw you post above and decided to look.
Thanks!
I was not familiar with the brand. It looks interesting.
30 A at 24 V doesn't seem to bad. That's like 60 A at 12 V.
My bigger concern is the 50 V max on the PV.

I have been designing my charging system incrementally, starting with a AIMS Power CON120AC1224VDC mains charger, which provides 75 A at 12 V or 37.5 A at 24 V. This is the charger that Will uses.

The next step was to be the DC-DC charger and then the solar charger. A combination unit could be fine, as long as it doesn't overly constrain the system.

Back