diy solar

diy solar

Shore Power/alt/mppt fourwheel camper

Bootboiler

Clearly I am new to this forum, thanks for letting me post.

I have a Fourwheel (Finch) camper, 2009. For a 2009 it is loaded. The current solar system is this...

Background

105AH Marine Battery AGM from West marine (200res)

solar (was hooked to sun saver-6

1) 80watt panel on the top.
2) New MPPT Victron Smart charger 100/30 (inherited from a friend, it was too small)

Alternator
3) Connects to a 1315 Battery separator 100amp, but my alternator throws 130 from a tacoma.
4) 1315 also has shore power hooked to it -

Shore Power

5) Iota DLS-30 converter (output 13.4 v, and 30 amps)
6) hooks to the 1315 Separator together with the alternator Pos connection.

Solar power is connected to batter, and then the Alternator and Shore Power is connected.

Desire

I would like to switch to LiPo, I can set the MPPT to Lipo, and the shore power (used almost never)

Questions:

If I buy a DC to DC charger (Orion Smart TR 12/24-30):
1) can I run the combined (shore power and alt wire) from the 1315 isolator to the DC/DC converter?
or
2) a) Run the alternator to the OSTR 12/24-30 and
b) Set the converter to LiPo ( have the dongle for this) and run it sparaterly
or
3) Screw it, just hook them up as is, and since the MPPT solar is the charger likely 90% of the time don't worry about running it through a DC-DC charger

I just don't see how 1 and 2 are really changing anything major. 3 well, I am sure most will say no to that, considering the cost of batteries.

Thanks for the help...

Scott

Attachments

• IMG_3336.png
    IMG_3336.png
    319.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3334.jpeg
    IMG_3334.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3015.jpeg
    IMG_3015.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3013.png
    IMG_3013.png
    720.6 KB · Views: 1
You likely just want 12v LFP battery. I'd suggest getting the new Victron 50a DC DC converter.

I'd just run it from the alternator to the DC DC converter to batteries. If the converter has LFP profile then just set that and you're good.

The 1315 isn't needed if you have the DC DC converter but can be kept. You need a DC DC converter to hookup from the alternator

Thank you Justinm001, I think I get what your saying run the current DLS 30 with the LFP module direct to the battery and the Alternator separately to the DC/DC converter.

The 1315 separator is in a crappy place to work on, really hard. I was hoping, since they are both (Start Battery, and (AC/DC) 🎸:) Converter) are attached at the 1315 and then to the battery for charging that I might be able to simply add the DC/DC charger between the battery and the 1315. Won't the DC charger take what it gets and convert it to something that is properly configured?

1315 -------------DC/DC charger--------------Battery

Thanks again...

Yes I believe the 1315 just connects and disconnects based on the chassis battery voltage so it'll only turn on when engine is running. So it'll basically act as a power switch for the DC converter which is perfect.

The DC converter is only 1 way so you you'll lose bidirectional charging of the chassis battery when connected to shore, but just something to think about. A cheap battery charger for chassis is always good to keep on hand just incase storing it for long periods.

Clearly I am new to this forum, thanks for letting me post.

I have a Fourwheel (Finch) camper, 2009. For a 2009 it is loaded. The current solar system is this...

Background

105AH Marine Battery AGM from West marine (200res)

solar (was hooked to sun saver-6

1) 80watt panel on the top.
2) New MPPT Victron Smart charger 100/30 (inherited from a friend, it was too small)

Alternator
3) Connects to a 1315 Battery separator 100amp, but my alternator throws 130 from a tacoma.
4) 1315 also has shore power hooked to it -

Shore Power

5) Iota DLS-30 converter (output 13.4 v, and 30 amps)
6) hooks to the 1315 Separator together with the alternator Pos connection.

Solar power is connected to batter, and then the Alternator and Shore Power is connected.

Desire

I would like to switch to LiPo, I can set the MPPT to Lipo, and the shore power (used almost never)
You will not be sorry if you switch. ( My suggestion is that you install as much battery as is practical ) You will understand why in time.
Questions:

If I buy a DC to DC charger (Orion Smart TR 12/24-30):
1) can I run the combined (shore power and alt wire) from the 1315 isolator to the DC/DC converter
like it or not they both end up in the same place.
or
2) a) Run the alternator to the OSTR 12/24-30 and
b) Set the converter to LiPo ( have the dongle for this) and run it sparaterly
or
Really it depends on the voltage drop ( wire size/length ) Do the math and you will have your answer.
3) Screw it, just hook them up as is, and since the MPPT solar is the charger likely 90% of the time don't worry about running it through a DC-DC charger
I do a lot of boondocking and found that I need two sources of charging as weather and location can toss a monkey wrench into the mix.
I just don't see how 1 and 2 are really changing anything major. 3 well, I am sure most will say no to that, considering the cost of batteries.

Thanks for the help...

Scott

Back