diy solar

diy solar

Renogy DCC50S Monitor Issue

andreinert

Hey Everyone,
I've got a 4 year old DCC50S running a really simple system, I think I have found the issue with my charger, I'm just curious if anyone else has had this problem. My van had been setting for a few days because of a mechanical issue and the monitor was saying the battery level was at 12.9v. I didn't think this was correct becuase this is a four year old battery and it loses charge down to about 12.7 after a few days of running some of the small draws in the van. I checked the charge at the post of my aux battery and the charge was 12.75v so, I started up the van and when the alternator charge light illuminated on the DCC50S I checked the voltage at the post of my aux battery and it was reading 14.75v but, the voltage on the display had not changed, it was still reading 12.9v. So, then I turned off the vehicle and disconnected the line coming into the back of the RMS-DCDC monitor and left it out for about a minute then plugged it back in. The display now read 0.0 volts for both the aux battery and the starter battery, I checked the connection going into the DCC50S and that was good. I happened to have a BT2 module laying around that I never used when I built this system and plugged it in. The green power light came on and then the blue BT connection light came on and it linked to the BT app on my phone. I gave it a minute to link up properly but, no information came up about the state of charge. So, I then connected my solar panel to the DCC50S and I was getting 13.7v at the post of the aux battery, 20.31v at the PV post connection on the DCC50S and 20.6v at the MC4 connectors coming right off the panel but, still nothing showed up in the BT app for solar charging and no information on the state of the battery. So, I unplugged the BT module and pluged in the RMS-DCDC monitor again. Nothing on that display. 0.0 volts on the aux battery and starter battery. Oh and I should add that I scrolled through all of the screens on the RMS-DCDC monitor when I had the solar panel connected and also when I had the van motor running and all the screens where zeroed out. So, my conclusion and please correct me if I'm wrong, there is an issue with either the RJ45 female connection on the DCC50S or there is an issue with the board that does the monitoring on the DCC50S? Everything else seems to work fine, when solar charging, the charger switches over from the aux battery to the starter battery when the charge is full on the aux battery. All of the LED's on the DCC50S are giving the correct information when alternator or solar is being used. Anyone have this issue and can it be fixed or am I looking at buying a new unit?

Last edited:
Back