diy solar

diy solar

Renogy Rover Elite 40A: keeps going into E01 on pumping system

ikidd

Just bought a few of these and every morning they're sitting there in E01 and presumably in what Renogy calls "low over-discharge protection". Even with the sun up high, it just stays there not charging. My 24V system has dropped by the time I get to it to about 21V, non-load. I'm guessing overnight it gets low-ish, like 24V and when the pump comes on, it drops the voltage enough that the charge controller drops out and then just never comes back on again.

I have a Victron voltage cutoff set to 20V and it never gets low enough to engage that. I've used an ePever charger before and while it would go low overnight, it would still be available to charge in the morning and all was well.

Is there any way to disable this mode, or set the LV cutoff low enough that it doesn't engage and then effectively turn itself into a brick? This is not a good feature.

Can you program different parameter settings? Make the low voltage cutoff 20V? The Renogy Rover Li series has a page on how to do that in the manual.

Can you program different parameter settings? Make the low voltage cutoff 20V? The Renogy Rover Li series has a page on how to do that in the manual.
I haven't been able to find anything like that in the manual. At least on the charger interface itself. I don't have a serial cable so I can't use any sort of outside software if that's what you're referring to. Would that be how I'd change that?

I haven't been able to find anything like that in the manual. At least on the charger interface itself. I don't have a serial cable so I can't use any sort of outside software if that's what you're referring to. Would that be how I'd change that?
With my Rover Li, it can be programmed through the Renogy DC app (You need a bluetooth module and a cell phone), but also manually through the keypad on the controller. I have seen posts in this forum about the best user settings for your controller.

The programmability on the Elite seems minimal at best, according to the manual.

I guess I'll order a BT cable and try that, if that can't adjust the cutoff voltage, I guess these go on eBay because they're useless to me with that "feature".

The programmability on the Elite seems minimal at best, according to the manual.

I guess I'll order a BT cable and try that, if that can't adjust the cutoff voltage, I guess these go on eBay because they're useless to me with that "feature".

The other Rover model (Li?) may be more programmable, but uses a different BT interface.

Well, I got a reply from Renogy, apparently this is working as designed. So when the battery gets too low, it stops charging altogether until you externally charge it. This cannot be disabled or changed, or if so, they didn't give me instructions on how to do so and a subsequent question to that effect garnered no response other than closing the ticket.

Completely useless considering the high threshold for this "overdischarge" protection makes it unworkable for any load that might take the voltage of the batteries below this threshold.

I guess I got off cheap to learn how bad their design choices are, and customer service isn't very good as well. I'll put these on eBay for the next sucker, and call it tuition for my education of what companies to avoid.

Back