diy solar

diy solar

Replacement BMS for Powerurus battery

FreeRangeMira

I’ve purchased a Powerurus 12v 100ah battery based in Will’s recommendation. The first battery was defective and Powerurus (RowPow) support was great. They had me try a few things but determined the battery needed to be replaced and quickly sent me a new battery. The original battery had a huge cell imbalance between 2 of the cells according to the bt app. So with nothing to loose I opened up the battery. I measure the voltage at the balance leads and they are all within a few millivolts. Based on this, I assume the BMS is defective. I hate to throw away 4 perfectly good cells. Any recommendations for a BMS to replace the original in the battery? Anything I need to be aware of when replacing the existing BMS? I assume I want a 4s 100a BMS (that is what the original is). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I’ve purchased a Powerurus 12v 100ah battery based in Will’s recommendation. The first battery was defective and Powerurus (RowPow) support was great. They had me try a few things but determined the battery needed to be replaced and quickly sent me a new battery. The original battery had a huge cell imbalance between 2 of the cells according to the bt app. So with nothing to loose I opened up the battery. I measure the voltage at the balance leads and they are all within a few millivolts. Based on this, I assume the BMS is defective. I hate to throw away 4 perfectly good cells. Any recommendations for a BMS to replace the original in the battery? Anything I need to be aware of when replacing the existing BMS? I assume I want a 4s 100a BMS (that is what the original is). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
How are the bms leads attached to the cells? Could it be a janky connection? I've had what I thought were good crimps and yet when I tugged the wire to the side the bms would present a bad cell. Re-crimped a new ring on fixed it. Just a thought.

If I measure the voltage at the connector that plugs into the BMS the voltages are good. The BMS software / app shows different voltages. I think leads are fine but the BMS ADC circuitry is defective. I may reach out to PowerUrus to see if I can buy a BMS, but I’m not holding my breath.

If I measure the voltage at the connector that plugs into the BMS the voltages are good. The BMS software / app shows different voltages. I think leads are fine but the BMS ADC circuitry is defective. I may reach out to PowerUrus to see if I can buy a BMS, but I’m not holding my breath.

Was opening up the battery all that difficult? Could you pry it open or did it require cutting?

I was able to get a stiff putty knife under the top cover and pry off the lip that went around the battery. Semi destructive, but the top goes back on and I could tape it closed again. I didn’t have to cut the case yet. I may need to in order to replace the BMS. The Overkill looks like it would fit in nicely and I could use the existing wiring.

Back