diy solar

diy solar

Researched so many options over the years, help!

SunnyDBoy

Hey everyone!

I've been playing with the idea of going solar for the past few years off and on, and now that I'm going to move to an area where solar is allowed I'm excited to take the plunge soon! That being said, I feel like I've "configured" so many systems in my free time that I'm confusing myself and unsure what to do.

Need: 8-10kw solar array
Bonus: 5-12kwh battery bank to offset peak demand rates (2-8pm weekdays)
Budget: Hoping to stay under $15k before incentives

I built a nifty calculator using data from a friend's solar array and my actual hourly energy usage (both over the last year) and it comes out that my next place could be 80-100% offset with the above specs.

Here are the systems I'm thinking of doing, let me know if there are better ones out there!

Scenarios 1
Grid Tie
: 8-10kw panels (Jinko 400w) from santansolar.com, 2x Delta H6 Solar City inverters from eBay (can you even use 2 inverters??)

Hybrid: Same as above, adding 3-5x BYD 3-4kw battery packs from batteryclearinghouse.com connected to inverters (gotta figure out how to get voltage up though)

Scenarios 2
Grid Tie
: 8-10kw panels (used 350w) from santansolar.com, Enphase microinverters (likely new from eBay or local wholesaler)

Hybrid: Same as above, adding 3-5x BYD 3-4kw battery packs from batteryclearinghouse.com connected through AC couple

If you have any tips or advice on these setups that would be great! Also if there are compatibility issues I would love to hear! I've never installed solar and work in analytics so am mostly familiar with numbers but I'm not familiar with what to lookout for on a compatibility level.

Thanks for your help!

Back