diy solar

diy solar

residential DIY grid-assist install -- 2kw roof array + Growatt 3k 24v + 24v chins batt bank

Midnite classic mounted. Still gathering all wiring and misc hardware. At this point, I’ve decided to keep the Growatt to serve as inverter/charger. I’ll upgrade to a Samlex evo once funds allow.

24FB7579-F5C8-4989-85C7-73A35D2955D6.jpeg

Busbars and wiring PV to the classic is next order of business.

okay, so.. have the midnite up and running. pretty straight-forward overall. I need to upgrade to 4awg battery charge cables, because the 8awg is only rated to 55amps.

1B0FE8A2-AD75-4E2E-8740-69840816958B_1_105_c.jpeg8CEF0FB9-C0AB-4C8D-95C9-B07AFD54D850_1_105_c.jpegA09FAB35-CCB8-4706-B43D-B0C087AA1395_1_105_c.jpeg2FAD54DD-F8EF-4AE6-872F-DC3AAAFB35C4_1_105_c.jpeg

okay, so.. have the midnite up and running. pretty straight-forward overall. I need to upgrade to 4awg battery charge cables, because the 8awg is only rated to 55amps.

Looking good! Really like the Midnight Classic. If/when upgrade my system in the future it will be on my short list of SCC's.

The ground fault and arc fault protection are a major plus and ETL. Always a positive to buy made in America IMHO.

Is that the Midnight Classic 150 shown in the picture?

Is that the Midnight Classic 150 shown in the picture?

it's the 200.

I upgraded solely for AFCI support and the peace of mind considering my panels are mounted on the roof. that's it. I already have a polarized Midnite GFP breaker installed, so I'm good on ground-fault. UL listed is a nice bonus. it's a solid SCC, for sure... and I can't wait to get a Samlex to replace the Growatt.

I sure do miss the pretty dashboard from solar-assistant, but ultimately... it really doesn't matter and it's less of a load on the batteries.

it's the 200.

I upgraded solely for AFCI support and the peace of mind considering my panels are mounted on the roof. that's it. I already have a polarized Midnite GFP breaker installed, so I'm good on ground-fault. UL listed is a nice bonus. it's a solid SCC, for sure... and I can't wait to get a Samlex to replace the Growatt.

I sure do miss the pretty dashboard from solar-assistant, but ultimately... it really doesn't matter and it's less of a load on the batteries.

Yes, Samlex makes really good products. I have the Samlex EVO-2224 Inverter-Charger and have been very happy with it. Sometimes wishing for its bigger brother the Samlex EVO-4024, but really don't need more with current system and with the surge capability of the EVO-2224.

Future upgrades probably include the Samlex-EVO-4248SP which feature 120/240 VAC and soon the ability to stack. That's when I will be looking at the MidNite Classic. Can't decide between the MidNite Classic 150 or 200 at this point in time. The 150 and 200 are listed at the same price on their web page. Are the features better for the 200 vs the 150?

The 150 and 200 are listed at the same price on their web page. Are the features better for the 200 vs the 150?
150 has lower VOC, higher charge rates (96 amp vs 78amp for the 200) but doesn't support more than 48v batteries. i picked up the 200 for $50 less than the 150 on stellavolta.

quick update....

after 8 months being commissioned, I have not experienced a single fault, error or outage. I am extremely impressed with my Growatt AiO. it just keeps on working.

we experienced a very mild winter, and effectively, my winter production was zero. I had the Growatt on grid mode pretty much all winter. also, panels on the roof in a snow zone is stupid. had I known all these things, I would never have bothered with panels on the roof. figure out some kind of ground mount so you can easily and safely keep snow off them.

quick update....

after 8 months being commissioned, I have not experienced a single fault, error or outage. I am extremely impressed with my Growatt AiO. it just keeps on working.

we experienced a very mild winter, and effectively, my winter production was zero. I had the Growatt on grid mode pretty much all winter. also, panels on the roof in a snow zone is stupid. had I known all these things, I would never have bothered with panels on the roof. figure out some kind of ground mount so you can easily and safely keep snow off them.

Certainly have found December & January low production months with many cloudy days and the sun low in the sky, but still some production on a few days. Production starts to pickup some in February with March looking pretty good.

Snow on the roof panels is a problem. With light snow the sun melts off the 35 degree tilt mounted south orientated panels. I have tilted the panels as much as 50 degrees with the adjustable mounts that did help the snow slide off more. Heavy snow is a problem. Have gotten on the roof and cleaned off panels and surround area, but don't recommend it and not looking to do it again.

Been researching some roof rakes and found one for solar panels, but not cheap. Still researching them and may pick one up before the snow flies next winter and see how it works.

Having a big enough battery bank to fully capture sunny days and an inverter/charger with a small no load current helps a little, but still spend more time grid mode than would like in December & January.

Roof Rake=- I bought a 24' paint roller extension pole and, with a swivel and some bolts attached, added a stiff push broom attachment. Works fairly well, a tad 'rubbery" at full length...

^ I have a real roof rake. I also have a 40' extendable brush/squeegee for our RV. It's all crap and doesn't help.

EVERY TIME after it snows.... every. time. the panels would warm just enough to melt a little of the snow and then refreeze. every panel was always completely covered with a sheet of thick ice. It required me to clear as much snow as i could, then wait a few hours for it to warm and start melting. then get up on a ladder and use the back-side of a broom to scrape the loose ice off. what a circus. complete waste of time and effort. i will NOT be bothering with it ever again, nor will I be installing any more panels in Michigan on my roof. ground mount only.

if we get many inches of snow, i'll brush it off to keep the weight off the panels. that's it.

PV to MC attic junction box. Thought I was going to be a huge fan of the dinkle terminals after watching this video but turns out... not so much. they're not particularly substantial, but got the job done.

View attachment 108404
@x98myers7
In the attic space, I thought the PV wires had to be in EMT or MC. Looks like unprotected PV wire going to terminal block. In my case I need a waterproof JB outside where the PV wires go into before transitioning to MC to run in the house to inverter

@x98myers7
In the attic space, I thought the PV wires had to be in EMT or MC. Looks like unprotected PV wire going to terminal block. In my case I need a waterproof JB outside where the PV wires go into before transitioning to MC to run in the house to inverter
yep, that's correct. I have about 1ft of exposed PV in the attic from the gable inlet to the JB. I should put it in EMT.

Back