diy solar

diy solar

Review my setup? DCDC and MPPT help!

gianaleo

Hi! I'm finalizing my van life setup and was hoping someone could give some advice. Here's what I'm thinking:

4 x 12v 100ah lithium batteries, Renogy (already purchased)
3000w 12v purse sine inverter/charger, Renogy (went a bit larger for potential future expansion purposes)

What I am struggling on, is my b2b set up and solar/MPPT charger set up.

I originally purchased Renogy's DCC50S 12V 50A DC-DC On-Board Battery Charger with MPPT because I liked the fact that it was a DC/DC and MPPT all in one - being a newbie it was less intimidating, however, the more I read up on it, the more I am thinking this will not really work too well. Reason being, is that while it is advertised as 50a, it is in fact 25a and 25a when you are using it for both a b2b and a MPPT.

If I used this with 100w 12v panels, let's say 2 or 3 of Renogy's, wired in series, it would be:
24v/16.7a or 36v/16.7a respectively
To my understanding, because Renogy's 50a charger is 12v, this would not work. I would have to wire in parallel (which is of course more wiring etc to understand for a noob), but even if I did, it would be:
12v/33.4a or 12v/50.1a

Because the MPPT caps out at 25a when also using the b2b, I would essentially be limited/missing out, no? For this reason, I am thinking it would make more sense to return this and go with Victron, either their 100v/30a or 100v/50a. This way I also have the ability to expand in the future if I choose.

Does this all make sense, am I doing this correctly or is my math wrong somewhere? And if I go this Victron route, does anyone recommend a specific dcdc charger for a 2018 Ram Promaster 2500 with 400ah lithium? Any input someone more experienced can give would be greatly appreciated!

Note: We will be running quite a bit and working from the van full-time, hence our system is on the larger size for a van.

So yeah you do have a bit of a dilemma. Renogy's controller is specced for a max of 660W per input. The average IMP of their 100W panels appears to be 5.29-5.72A. You wouldn't be able to put them in series (just as you mentioned) but in parallel you could put up to 4 panels or 400w due to the amp limit. All the way around it seems like there isn't a great solution to hit the unit's pmax and utilize it fully.

A separate DC-DC for the b2b and an MPPT for the panels would be an optimum solution IMHO (just as you mentioned). Victron is good choice for both, perhaps consider one of their Orion TR series such as the Orion-Tr 12/12-30A for your b2b.

I see you already have an inverter otherwise a full Victron kit with a Phoenix inverter or Multiplus inverter/charger could be nice here as then you could have the MPPT and inverter on a single platform you could monitor easily via a CCGX or Venus GX. Or even just BT. You also add a battery monitor etc.

So yeah you do have a bit of a dilemma. Renogy's controller is specced for a max of 660W per input. The average IMP of their 100W panels appears to be 5.29-5.72A. You wouldn't be able to put them in series (just as you mentioned) but in parallel you could put up to 4 panels or 400w due to the amp limit. All the way around it seems like there isn't a great solution to hit the unit's pmax and utilize it fully.

A separate DC-DC for the b2b and an MPPT for the panels would be an optimum solution IMHO (just as you mentioned). Victron is good choice for both, perhaps consider one of their Orion TR series such as the Orion-Tr 12/12-30A for your b2b.

I see you already have an inverter otherwise a full Victron kit with a Phoenix inverter or Multiplus inverter/charger could be nice here as then you could have the MPPT and inverter on a single platform you could monitor easily via a CCGX or Venus GX. Or even just BT. You also add a battery monitor etc.
Thank you!

Noob question here, but what is the difference between that DCDC that you recommended and the "smart" version? Any additional difference between that one and the Renogy one that Will did a review on?

Ideally just need something that will keep my van's battery healthy, not get too hot/is safe, and if possible, do some of the monitoring work automatically for me since this electricity stuff is all very much out of my element lol

diy solar

diy solar
Back