diy solar

diy solar

Roadtrek Automatic Transfer System- Can i connect it directly to my inverter instead of generator

jjosephiina

Hello all! Ive built in The Off Grid King solar system and it’s fully ready to be connected with the rest of my van. I’ve got a roadtrek with its own ATS that was connected to the generator previously, but it has since been removed and i don’t plan on putting a generator in my roadtrek. I watched a will prowse video on this and he said “find the wire that goes out the the generator, and instead of connecting it to the generator, then you can connect that cable directly to your solar power system inverter” i wanted to know if anyone else has successfully done this when converting to solar. What steps did you take and what should i look out for? I’m trying to refrain from requiring the whole system and this seems like a good solution.

Attachments

• 7D32F866-A877-42E7-8F2D-23E5171BCBCB.jpeg
    7D32F866-A877-42E7-8F2D-23E5171BCBCB.jpeg
    208.3 KB · Views: 12
  • DF162221-709A-485D-8E4E-C5477ECCBB71.jpeg
    DF162221-709A-485D-8E4E-C5477ECCBB71.jpeg
    214.4 KB · Views: 12
I have a 2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile, but I don't know the answer to your question. I would join the ClassB Forum and ask there. There are a number of Roadtrek owners there that are very knowledgeable about the Roadtrek electrical system.

I have a 2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile, but I don't know the answer to your question. I would join the ClassB Forum and ask there. There are a number of Roadtrek owners there that are very knowledgeable about the Roadtrek electrical system.
thank you! i appreciate the advice, are you referring to classbforum.com ?

The first thing you need to check is why your ground wire (green) got hot enough to melt the insulation-that should not happen. Was it connected to the ground lug? Also check how far the damage went-you may want to cut back your shore cord or replace a few wires.
Yes you can connect your inverter directly to the wires on the right. The only issue with that is you would possibly be using battery power to energize the transfer relay. A better option might be to connect your shore cord to the "Generator" wires and the inverter to the "Line" wires, that way shore power is holding the relay. Check the operation of the transfer switch to test, you want to hear it "click" or operate when plugging in shore power, it may be that way now but it's not common.

Last edited:
Yes connect it direct. Get the polarity right. However this will power all 120v items including the 300w heater for any absorption fridge, the converter and electric water heat if equipped. All these items need to be off, disconnected, or set to propane only. A reminder note next to the inverter power switch would be handy.

There might be a 60 second delay before switching to inverter. This delay is to allow the generator to get up to speed and stabilize power before connecting. Just don't panic if the switch does not connect immediately.

Back