diy solar

diy solar

Runtime/Lossless Balancing for using dissimilar batteries?

smoke.python

TL;DR: I am looking for a way to have many dissimilar batteries (different ages, manufacturers, and capacities) used for solar energy storage. Can this be achieved with a Runtime Balancing or Lossless Balancing battery management system? If so, are there any systems one can purchase or would you have to build your own?

Rant/Problem Statement:
Unlike what seems to be the case for most people, I live in the real world without infinite money. I recently learned (after purchase) that you can't just plug two dissimilar batteries into your inverter and expect things to work. Given that batteries are the most expensive part of my solar installation, it seems crazy to me that the common recommendation is "just buy all of your batteries at the same time, from the same manufacturer, and when one breaks replace all of them at once. Here in the real world, the following are all true:
1. You don't always have enough money to buy everything at once, sometimes you start small and scale up.
2. You often don't know which manufacturer is good until you try their product, so you want to buy one item and use it a while before buying more.
3. Manufacturers *frequently* stop making a given model of a thing and replace it with a different newer model.
4. Manufacturers go out of business and you have to switch brands.
5. Your energy needs may increase over time, requiring you to scale up your system later.
6. Not all hardware fails at the same rate, it is likely one your batteries will fail before the others.

Solution?
I have been trying to do research into this problem to figure out why the standard practice seems to be so incredibly wasteful and non-modular. I came across https://www.batterydesign.net/cell-balancing/ which talks about different kinds of battery balancing systems and noticed that Runtime Balancing and Lossless Balancing sound like they may allow one to build out a modular battery storage solution that doesn't suffer from the problem of needing to buy and discard all of your batteries at once.

The Runtime Balancing system of having DC-DC converters on each battery sounds promising as it is conceptually quite simple, but I worry a bit about how battery charging would be managed by the inverter if the witnessed voltage is always exactly what it is supposed to be with no fluctuations near top/bottom of charge.

The Lossless Balancing system sounds complicated, which of course is always worse than simple, but maybe that is necessary to solve this problem.

This post is specifically about Runtime and Lossless Balancing systems and their use in a solar installation, but if anyone has any suggestions on how I can solve the more general problem of battery modularity in some other way I would love to get some advice/insight! I posted another inquiry trying to solve the same problem in a different way, but it seems that comes with its own set of problems. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/multiple-inverters-independent-battery-and-panels-on-each.82745/

TL;DR: I am looking for a way to have many dissimilar batteries (different ages, manufacturers, and capacities) used for solar energy storage. Can this be achieved with a Runtime Balancing or Lossless Balancing battery management system? If so, are there any systems one can purchase or would you have to build your own?

Rant/Problem Statement:
Unlike what seems to be the case for most people, I live in the real world without infinite money. I recently learned (after purchase) that you can't just plug two dissimilar batteries into your inverter and expect things to work. Given that batteries are the most expensive part of my solar installation, it seems crazy to me that the common recommendation is "just buy all of your batteries at the same time, from the same manufacturer, and when one breaks replace all of them at once. Here in the real world, the following are all true:
1. You don't always have enough money to buy everything at once, sometimes you start small and scale up.
2. You often don't know which manufacturer is good until you try their product, so you want to buy one item and use it a while before buying more.
3. Manufacturers *frequently* stop making a given model of a thing and replace it with a different newer model.
4. Manufacturers go out of business and you have to switch brands.
5. Your energy needs may increase over time, requiring you to scale up your system later.
6. Not all hardware fails at the same rate, it is likely one your batteries will fail before the others.

Solution?
I have been trying to do research into this problem to figure out why the standard practice seems to be so incredibly wasteful and non-modular. I came across https://www.batterydesign.net/cell-balancing/ which talks about different kinds of battery balancing systems and noticed that Runtime Balancing and Lossless Balancing sound like they may allow one to build out a modular battery storage solution that doesn't suffer from the problem of needing to buy and discard all of your batteries at once.

The Runtime Balancing system of having DC-DC converters on each battery sounds promising as it is conceptually quite simple, but I worry a bit about how battery charging would be managed by the inverter if the witnessed voltage is always exactly what it is supposed to be with no fluctuations near top/bottom of charge.

The Lossless Balancing system sounds complicated, which of course is always worse than simple, but maybe that is necessary to solve this problem.

This post is specifically about Runtime and Lossless Balancing systems and their use in a solar installation, but if anyone has any suggestions on how I can solve the more general problem of battery modularity in some other way I would love to get some advice/insight! I posted another inquiry trying to solve the same problem in a different way, but it seems that comes with its own set of problems. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/multiple-inverters-independent-battery-and-panels-on-each.82745/
I run dissimilar manufacturers, AH in my system with no issue.

What is the issue you are having?

Last edited:
I run dissimilar manufacturers, AH in my system with no issue.
How are your inverters configured such that things work with dissimilar batteries? All of the solar technicians and sales people keep telling me that horrible things will happen if I do this, and I'm a bit loath to just blindly ignore them, even though I *really* dislike the solutions they are proposing (just replace all of your batteries at the same time).

The "standard practice" as you say is not just because someone decided to do things that way.
I understand that the naive solution of just plugging a bunch of batteries in parallel to each other won't work "because physics", but this feels like a big enough problem (having to purchase and discard all batteries at the same time) that surely someone has come up with a solution? Something like a digital battery load balancer that tracks each battery independently and automatically adjusts the power draw based on needs and available charge is something one could imagine being built, but maybe there are simpler options like plopping a DC-DC converter in front of each battery and having them drop out of rotation when they get low or something.

How are your inverters configured such that things work with dissimilar batteries? All of the solar technicians and sales people keep telling me that horrible things will happen if I do this, and I'm a bit loath to just blindly ignore them, even though I *really* dislike the solutions they are proposing (just replace all of your batteries at the same time)
Inverters have no special configuration.

They just want you to buy new batteries.

I have 400ah mixed with 280ah and 100ah batteries of 3 different manufacturers and DIY and never had an issue.

What did they tell you wound happen?

I have 400ah mixed with 280ah and 100ah batteries of 3 different manufacturers and DIY and never had an issue.

What did they tell you wound happen?
I would love more details about your setup. Do you just connect all of the batteries in parallel (positive to positive, negative to negative) and plug that into your inverter and "it just works"?

Everything I have raid suggests that if you setup batteries in parallel like this the "bigger" capacity/newer batteries will charge the older batteries until the voltages equalize, and this can be extremely fast/abrupt and result in overcharge and battery damage. The voltage will drop off on the smaller battery sooner than the bigger battery, and they say that when this happens the bigger battery will once again start charging the smaller battery. They also claim similar problems occur even if the batteries are the same size but have different internal resistances and/or subtle voltage curves.

Be specific on what you are trying to mix. Lifep04 with sla, or different lifepo4 ah, or ???
If I could get things setup with only the requirement that they all be the same *type* of battery (e.g., LiFePO4, LeadAcid, etc.) that would be better than the current picture that has been painted for me where I can't even mix and match LiFePO4 batteries of different capacities/resistances. Better though would be if I could mix and match batteries of any type with as few limitations as possible. An ideal solution would be some sort of battery management system that let me plug in a wide array of completely different batteries including different voltages, different chemistries, different ages, different manufacturers, etc. and the BMS would do the work of making them all work together correctly. The more I research, the more I suspect the "ideal" scenario is not possible at the moment because no one has built such a BMS that I can find.

Mixing lifepo4 is fine. I have 100ah batteries in parallel with 280ah.

Charge to the same voltage (full is typical), and then you can add in parallel.

If you have access to the bms, you can disable discharge, and enable charging. Then the battery joins in during the charge cycle. When it is charging, you can then enable discharge.

with liFePo4 cells and most of their derivatives, Ytrium dosed etc. you just use a separate BMS for each bank. then set your inverter to LBCO at 3.0 VDC per cell and let it rip. for charging set all of your charging systems to charge to 3.45 per cell and let it rip. set your BMS to LBCO of 2.9 and HBCO at 3.55 per cell.

do that and they will play fine together for the most part.

NOTE this works fine for a small to medium sized system. start trying to build a 150kWh system like this and it will cause issues.

I have three battery banks. a 500 aH bank that is 3p16s and then two 400 aH packs that are 16s. they work fine together. the 3p16s pack is comprised of differnt age, differnt capacity calb 180 se's that are at least 8 years old. I added the two winston packs in nov time frame and have had no issues. each of the packs BMS will cut off in an emergency and the inverter and SCC's do most of the heavy lifting in regards to charge/discharge. to date, no power outages, no BMS shutdowns and basically no issues.

fuse properly
clean/torque properly, use electrical paste to prevent oxidation between contacts and cables.
top balance first regardless of what the current thoughts on this forum concerning letting your BMS top balance.
build/place your battery packs in an outbuilding, not in your house. that way if you do screw up you loose a 10x20 shop or what not, not your house.
and for good sake, try to avoid cutting corners on chintzy chinese crap gear. every other thread is a call for help because the craptastic shit some dude bought trying to save money did not live up to even a minimum of expectations.

I would love more details about your setup. Do you just connect all of the batteries in parallel (positive to positive, negative to negative) and plug that into your inverter and "it just works"?

Everything I have raid suggests that if you setup batteries in parallel like this the "bigger" capacity/newer batteries will charge the older batteries until the voltages equalize, and this can be extremely fast/abrupt and result in overcharge and battery damage. The voltage will drop off on the smaller battery sooner than the bigger battery, and they say that when this happens the bigger battery will once again start charging the smaller battery. They also claim similar problems occur even if the batteries are the same size but have different internal resistances and/or subtle voltage curves.
Every battery in parallel.

Yes it just works. I’m not the only one doing this.

Once you have all batteries at the same voltage and tie them together how is one battery voltage going to be less than the other?

If I let the whole bank go to zero they all arrive at the same time.

Last edited:
Back