diy solar

diy solar

Balancing cycle initiation on the Orion Jr2 BMS

hwy17

Anti-Solar Enthusiast
I am hung up on some specific wording in the Orion Jr2 BMS operating manual.

On one hand, we have a quote somewhere else on this forum from Orion, stating that for ESS applications, it is common to supply power to the BMS only by it's Charge Power connector, so that balancing is always enabled. This makes sense, our charging sources are always connected, unlike a car, whether they are active or not, and we want our batteries to continually balance each time they rise above the balancing start voltage. This is the standard operation for bidirectional FET BMS as well.

But then, this:
Balancing on the Orion Jr. 2 BMS only occurs when the BMS is powered in CHARGE mode (poweredby CHARGE power on the Main I/O connector). When any one cell in the battery pack exceeds the“Start Balancing” voltage, the BMS will begin the balancing algorithm for all cells. The BMS will look forthe lowest cell and then place a load on all cells which are more than the maximum difference in voltage above the lowest cell. For example, if a battery pack consists of 4 cells at 3.5, 3.51, 3.65 and 3.49volts and the maximum difference in voltage is configured for 10mV (0.01 volts), the BMS would onlyapply a load to the cell which is 3.65v, to bring it down to within 10mV with the rest of the cells. This algorithm continues until all cells are balanced to within the pre-defined maximum difference in voltageand continues even after the BMS has switched off the charger. Once all cells are within this voltage,balancing will stop until power is removed and re-applied to the CHARGE power pin (pin 4) on the BMS(i.e. the next charge cycle).

If I read this correctly, supplying Charge Power initiates a one time balancing event, and when that event is complete, no balancing will be attempted again, until Charge Power is removed and re-applied.

That would mean that I need to devise a way to regularly remove and reapply Charge Power. Ideally if I could get my MPPT (Schneider 100-600) to send some kind of wake up signal when it starts generating in the morning, this would provide a daily signal cycle. But if I can't get some kind of 5-60v or dry contact active signal from the MPPT, I read this as implying that I need to set up some sort of timer myself, to regularly remove and reapply Charge Power to initiate a new balancing cycle.

Other than a timer, the only simpler option would be to wire a manual switch for the Charge Power, and then manually cycle it once in a while as needed.

The alternative to this thought process, is that this section is misworded or outdated, and the current software does include continuous balancing. But the Orion is built on tedious specificities and the manual is not written to repeat or highlight important information. So I have to take this sentence at face value until proven otherwise.

@hammick @Ampster

I supposed I don't need to lose sleep over it. If I do understand it correctly, then 12v dry contact timers are cheap and available.

1707752193991.png
1707752213231.png

Second opinion. Since the Orion Jr2 is describing Passive balancing which is slow and just wastes energy. I would suggest turning it off and installing a stand alone balancer that can be set to only start balance when the first cell reaches 3.4V.

Second opinion. Since the Orion Jr2 is describing Passive balancing which is slow and just wastes energy. I would suggest turning it off and installing a stand alone balancer that can be set to only start balance when the first cell reaches 3.4V.
I think that's probably basically how @Ampster is running, from what I've heard.

I want to believe in the Orion/Nuvation dogma that tiny passive balancing should be enough, until I am forced not to. Both of these expert companies disagree with the community take that higher balancing currents are needed.

I want to believe in the Orion/Nuvation dogma that tiny passive balancing should be enough, until I am forced not to. Both of these expert companies disagree with the community take that higher balancing currents are needed.
No harm in giving it a try. If you determine more current is needed, you can always add a balancer later.

I'm using a JK brand stand alone balancer but it doesn't have a Start Balance setting like their BMS so I used the XW+ Aux relay to turn balancing On at 54.4V.

Back