diy solar

diy solar

RV electric conversion

Highway Hellion

I’ve got a 1989 class c Chevy jamboree and I’m adding solar. I went off Will’s site and ordered panels, 2 battleborns, victron 100/50 mppt scc, and the 2000w pure sine wave inverter he recommends. My question is how to incorporate the old system to the new solar addition, my current system has an on board generator and charging off engine or charging battery with shore power, but ac to dc charger is an older style with exposed transformer and relay without any labeling to indicate charging parameters, so I don’t know if it or my engine isolater can safely charge my battleborn lithium’s. At any rate just thinking I’m not the first to experience this dilemma and hoping some one has a schematic and parts list to help me out. Thanks in advance to whoever takes the time to help me out.

Check out this video. I think it might help.

Youll want 2 items. An inverter-charger to replace the converter. That will run AC out into AC breaker and power your outlets. It will contain a transfer switch inside for shore/generator power and you will bypass your coaches transfer switch.

OR just a plain old ac2dc converter drop in replacement and retain the coaches transfer switch. Thats pretty cheap and easy to install.

Then you want a dc2dc charger for charging lifepo4's off alternator. OR you can get dc2dc combined with MPPT solar controller.

Last edited:
I’ve got a 1989 class c Chevy jamboree and I’m adding solar. I went off Will’s site and ordered panels, 2 battleborns, victron 100/50 mppt scc, and the 2000w pure sine wave inverter he recommends. My question is how to incorporate the old system to the new solar addition, my current system has an on board generator and charging off engine or charging battery with shore power, but ac to dc charger is an older style with exposed transformer and relay without any labeling to indicate charging parameters, so I don’t know if it or my engine isolater can safely charge my battleborn lithium’s. At any rate just thinking I’m not the first to experience this dilemma and hoping some one has a schematic and parts list to help me out. Thanks in advance to whoever takes the time to help me out.

Youll want 2 items. An inverter-charger to replace the converter. That will run AC out into AC breaker and power your outlets. It will contain a transfer switch inside for shore/generator power and you will bypass your coaches transfer switch.

OR just a plain old ac2dc converter drop in replacement and retain the coaches transfer switch. Thats pretty cheap and easy to install.

Then you want a dc2dc charger for charging lifepo4's off alternator. OR you can get dc2dc combined with MPPT solar controller.
Thanks I called Battleborn and they gave me a lead on a good charger and dc2dc charger, so that coincides with what you suggested. Thanks for responding.

diy solar

diy solar
Back