diy solar

diy solar

Alaskan new to van conversion struggling with electrical system

Sdvoley

Hello! I just bought a Ram promaster and I have been researching a lot about electrical systems and just keep getting more confused! I’ve been debating a DIY with 200 a of batteries, 300-400 solar, alternator charging, shore charging, etc. OR an all-in-one or portable system. I’m not an electrician and do not have hardly any knowledge. My needs are:
DC: water pump, maxxair fan, lights, 12 V fridge, phone charging and
AC: charging for two computers, drone and video equipment and maybe tv.

I’d like to be off grid for about a week at a time.
Plan to live in camper 6 months out of year.
Any recommendations?

I have looked at Ecoflow, Bluetti for all-in-one
And if DIY would like reliable batteries (Battleborn) and possibly Victron!Renogy parts.
Solar could be fixed or portable. I don’t mind spending the money if reliable, trusted and good warranty.

Very basic Vehicle AC+DC system:

More detailed system:

While the complexity of that schematic is absolutely overwhelming, spend some time with it. Read the accompanying text as well as the text boxes on the schematics. You'll eventually get it.

As far as what you need in a system, link #1 in my signature. You need to define your needs before you can spec a system.

Note that van rooftop PV is going to be pretty horrible in AK. It will be far more beneficial to hang the panels on the side of the van facing South rather than on the roof.

Very basic Vehicle AC+DC system:

More detailed system:

While the complexity of that schematic is absolutely overwhelming, spend some time with it. Read the accompanying text as well as the text boxes on the schematics. You'll eventually get it.

As far as what you need in a system, link #1 in my signature. You need to define your needs before you can spec a system.

Note that van rooftop PV is going to be pretty horrible in AK. It will be far more beneficial to hang the panels on the side of the van facing South rather than on the roof.
Thanks for the reply/info! I will look at the links. Although I’m from Alaska, most of the van driving/ living will be in warm parts of lower 48 in winter.

Thanks for the reply/info! I will look at the links. Although I’m from Alaska, most of the van driving/ living will be in warm parts of lower 48 in winter.
Optimum panel tilt equals location latitude. So if you're at 40 deg, you should tilt em up 40 deg if possible.
Think about how you could do this for roof Mount or ground array.

Hi @Sdvoley

I had a 2018 Promaster 180amp alternator & now gave a 2021 220amp alternator.

I charge my 250 Ah AGMs from the PM alternator.

I am not a fan of the AIO Bluetti etc, they are slow to charge in relation to just batteries.

The Promaster has a fuse block on top of the starter battery & a 70 amp “Upfitter fuse”. You can use that fuse or add your own if you need higher current.

Lots of info on that on the Promaster Forum.

IMG_2898.jpeg

Very basic Vehicle AC+DC system
Well, basic in Vectron terms.
The example needs all Victron stuff including the expensive overpriced Victron lithium battery.

Try this for a basic diagram,Screenshot_20230905-200359_Chrome~2.jpg

It needs a battery to Battery charger and shore charger added.

Sugested parts,
Batteryto Battery charger, Victron Orion 12 12 30 none isolated.
Solar regulator, Victron Smart 100/30 for 400 watts of panels.
Inverter, Victron Pheonix 400 to 1000 watt, ( depends on your loading).
Shore charger, Victron IP22 Blue Smart 30 amp
Shunt, Victron Smart Shunt 500A, or BMV712 ,
Battery, 12 volt 200 Ah to 400Ah lithium. There are better alternatives to BB , browse forum for ideas.
Solar panels, only consider rigid framed panels. Plan your roof layout with care, the Maxxair fan, other roof items and available panel sizes need consideration.

The use of a 'solar generator' is not advised in a van conversion, the 12 volt DC charging and load capability is lacking.
Renogy stuff is not recomended.

An the Victron units are user programmable via the app and record data. This is valuable in 'housekeeping' battery energy

My RV is the same vehicle body as your Promaster, ( but different engine and transmiss), so with similar requirements and Victron units as recommended, have traveled all over Europe including above the Arctic Circle, 66 deg north, with no equipment issues.

Mik

I'm not specifically promoting Victron products - ESPECIALLY not their extremely overpriced batteries. They are simply great templates.
What else is there for mobile applications that would be better equipment? I'll build my own batteries but Victron pretty good in that application.

Well I don't have a wall of blue but as I look at reviews I can only come up with two options. Buy anything for less money and spend hours, hours, and maybe some smoke or pony up and get the documented blue. I think blue is in the future.

Make your panels tilt. Not that hard. I made 1/2 of my panels on my truck camper tilt with linear actuators. (click the link in my signature).

Best van tilt setup I ever saw was this setup.

Back