diy solar

diy solar

Thoughts and guidance for plans of new system

Simpleone71

I live in a rural area and due to severe thunderstorms and close scrapes by hurricanes, I'm looking to build a small system. I mean a little larger than a "hand-cart" system, something on a two-tier cart.

I am only looking to run a fridge, freezer, and a few small things like router, firewall, ISP fiber modem, led lights, fan, etc.

I am still gathering my power requirements with a kill-a-watt, but my rough estimate is around 6700 watt hours in a 24 hour day. I am looking to be able to run around 24 hours, maybe a little more on battery alone. Then I would like to get 2 to 3 400w or plus panels that I can lay out as needed. I am not wanting to mount these on the roof at this time.

As I mentioned this is early planning, so while I have an idea of the equipment, some of you can guide me to other equipment that you are all using that is just as good or help me see an entirely different way to go.

Currently considering (2) 24V 230Ah Li Time batteries, Victron MultiPlus or MultiPlus II 24v/3000v/70a and Victron MPPT 100v/50a and 2 or 3 400w or more solar panels. I do not fully care (unless you convince me otherwise) if the solar panels can 100% fully recharge my batteries in the course of one day. Maybe just bring them back up high enough to run through another night. I understand that the Victron products are pricey, but from my research they are super reliable.

One other thought (but I have not done all the math on it cost or performance wise), but to not do solar panels or MPPT and use that money to get a 3rd 24V 230Ah battery and just charge from the grid before hurricanes or the threat of severe weather days.

The longest power outage we have ever had was a little over 3 days. So again, not even looking to connect this to the house through any type of transfer switch or anything. I am just looking for a reliable, reasonably priced system to be able to use 6 to 7 times a year for a day here or there. I also would like to have some room for expansion if I get hooked into the solar world. :) I am a DIY type person and also think I can get a little bit better system for the same or little less money than pre-built systems from EcoFlow, Bluetti, etc., but again maybe you all will prove that thought process wrong.

During the rest of the times throughout the year, I will use this in my home lab server room to be the battery backup. I currently have 4 UPS units for different servers, but this one would be enough to replace those and also offer longer battery run times than what I currently have.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Last edited:
Start with a 48v system. 5kWh rack battery and off-grid inverter. Two rack batteries to cover 6.7kWh.
You can plug it in to top it off before sever weather. Or, let the panels charge it over a week.

Consider the EG4 6000 off-grid inverter, or Growatt 5kW. Both will require some type of transfer switch. If you spend more for the EG4 18kPV, it can automatically switch to battery, and some other wiz-bang features. It will also set you up for backing up the whole house.

I will investigate that, but it already has some negatives in my mind. I am not looking to install a transfer switch as I mentioned my system will be on the smaller size. To do a transfer switch, that really steps up things and requires an electrician, possible sub panel for critical circuits, etc, etc. I know that what I am doing will not be cheap, but I am expecting it to be cheaper than a whole home setup.

Last edited:
I am now looking at the following:

Growatt 5kW (SFP 5000 ES)
3 EG4 Lifepower4 48v server battery packs
2 Renogy 550W bifacial mono solar panels in series

For now, I still am wanting to keep this separate from my house wiring and attach a heavy-duty power strip coming out of the Growatt. I will be using approximately 8.5 kWh daily and this setup should give me around 1 1/2 days of battery power. I will use the solar panels on the ground with angle mounts as needed, but not looking to mount on my roof.

During non-hurricane months, I will use this as a UPS for my server rack.

EDIT: I'm now seeing the SFP 5000 ES is 240v, researching more.

Last edited:
Thanks, I went with 4 550w panels that should get me closer. I started a new post with a schematic of what I will do for review. I did end up going with Victron equipment.

I appreciate your comments.

Back