diy solar

diy solar

First 24 v system

Grouser906

I am setting up a stand-alone 24v system in my 12x24 shop to run a continuous 500W ceramic heater only. I have full grid power already, so here is my question, I have 24v battery and am looking to get a Victron Phoenix 24/500 inverter to go with it, because of it being 24v would that mean the 24/500 Phoenix will actually handle up to 1000w?

I have a small 12v system in my trappers' log cabin already, so trying to understand this 24v thing for possible future endeavors with a little stand-alone useful test. (I'm in the UP Michigan)

because of it being 24v would that mean the 24/500 Phoenix will actually handle up to 1000w?
No, the VA ratings are independent of the input voltage. Your 24/500 is built for 500VA only, and I think the continuous rating in those is a little lower, so your 500W heater will eventually overload the inverter. Might want to step up that size a little.
What will change between a 12V and a 24V will be that the current from the battery to the inverter will be half as much. 21A at 24V instead of 42A at 12V.

I am setting up a stand-alone 24v system in my 12x24 shop to run a continuous 500W ceramic heater only. I have full grid power already, so here is my question, I have 24v battery and am looking to get a Victron Phoenix 24/500 inverter to go with it, because of it being 24v would that mean the 24/500 Phoenix will actually handle up to 1000w?

I have a small 12v system in my trappers' log cabin already, so trying to understand this 24v thing for possible future endeavors with a little stand-alone useful test. (I'm in the UP Michigan)
Id recommend a larger inverter, dont want to max it out full time. A 1000w or 1200w would serve you well.

24v just uses less dc current to do the same thing with 12v. Voltage up = current down.

I am setting up a stand-alone 24v system in my 12x24 shop to run a continuous 500W ceramic heater only.
Getting back to the original question, when you say a continuous 500W heater, you mean a heater that's left on 24/7? That is a quite large load to be running full time. Will the heater shut off when a pre-set temperature is reached? Have you actually calculated how many watt-hours of power you need in a 24hr period?

With a limited understanding of how solar works, I would not be surprised to find out that neither your solar input, or your battery storage are going to be adequate. If you could please document what those components are, we could better help you design a properly functioning system that isn't going to crash from a dead battery bank.

I have 2 24 Phoenix inverters… I use small 400 watt space heaters with them now and then…watching the draw on mine I suggest with a 500 watt heater you will max the 500 watt Phoenix out totally , if it even will pull it any length of time. It’s not big enough basically ...it’s an unfair load.

For a hundred bucks more I would get the 800 watt at least …a 1000or 1200 W is even better…they will be great if you ever want to add to the load, another heater , light, fans, tv etc.They are all priced cheap…

J.

For what its worth, i really like my 24V system. Its a good balance of available power and longer runtime, wire size and so on.
I use big 6v deep cycle lead acids, so 4 in series. Runs my camp for days on end with my 4000w Aims inverter and 700w of panels.

As you go up in inverter size, you will see the benefits of raising the battery voltage. I really wouldn't want to get over 3000w on 12v.

One more question-I was given 2 -345w panels with a VOC of 47.5, If i hook them up in series does the v still stay at 47.5?
As Brucey mentioned, Series adds up the voltage, so you'd be at 95V.

Make sure your charge controller has the headroom for this. Most manufacturers jump from 100V max to 150V max.

If going Series - You will want a 150V max.
100V is too close.

Example:
Victron 100/30 = panels parallel
Victron 150/35 = Panels in series

Back