diy solar

diy solar

RV solar help

Bobs84

I've been looking through your site and watching your channel. Haven't found the right schematic for an Rv.
I have a "solar prepped" RV. Which just means they've pre run wires from roof through the walls to a central location.
My question is looking for a schematic to follow for setup that wont harm a solar system when connected to shore power or running my genny. RV has automatic transfer switch when connected.

Thanks for any help

First, I am not an expert, especially when it comes to Motorhomes.

But I believe it should be as simple as connecting PV panels to one end of the prewired wiring, connecting an MPPT charge controller to the other end, and wiring your MPPT charge controller to your house battery bank. Definitely don't take my word for it, but I don't think its much more complicated than the basic schematics Will has on his website.

Here is an article on adding Solar to your RV from AltE solar which is a pretty good source for entry level DIY solar info.

Pacific Yacht Systems (which is Marine centric, but most of the info is relevant to RV's too) is a good resource as well

And I would definitely reccomend looking in your Motorhomes user manual or technical documentation, or contacting the company. Since your RV is "solar prepped" I bet they have instructions or guidance on how to properly add solar to your electrical system.

Which RV do you have? I suspect different models vary in their "solar readiness" and configuration.

What model is your onboard charge controller? This is the key piece.

As I understand it, lots of the RV's that call themselves solar ready do not have an onboard SCC. It just denotes that the wiring has been run from the roof to some interior location, and doesn't actually include a controller.

As I understand it, lots of the RV's that call themselves solar ready do not have an onboard SCC. It just denotes that the wiring has been run from the roof to some interior location, and doesn't actually include a controller.
Agreed, no SCC but a charge controller for charging house batteries from shore power. Which charge controller the OP has will probably make a difference.

Wait a minute. From this video, looks like it might just be a port for a solar suitcase for trickle charging.

OP, is this what you have? A solar port?

If so, you'll probably need a real solar system from scratch.

First, I am not an expert, especially when it comes to Motorhomes.

But I believe it should be as simple as connecting PV panels to one end of the prewired wiring, connecting an MPPT charge controller to the other end, and wiring your MPPT charge controller to your house battery bank. Definitely don't take my word for it, but I don't think its much more complicated than the basic schematics Will has on his website.

Here is an article on adding Solar to your RV from AltE solar which is a pretty good source for entry level DIY solar info.

Pacific Yacht Systems (which is Marine centric, but most of the info is relevant to RV's too) is a good resource as well

And I would definitely reccomend looking in your Motorhomes user manual or technical documentation, or contacting the company. Since your RV is "solar prepped" I bet they have instructions or guidance on how to properly add solar to your electrical system.
Thank you for the thoughts and information.

I'm a total noob and just installed solar on my Cruiser Stryker 2613 2019 that came "wired for solar" following Will's Classic 400w . I got 95% of my info from here and Will's book. I had the exact same questions you have , see your question asked here ! In short , (for the most part ha ha ) multiple charging sources won't hurt anything but any solar should be set up with disconnect switches to easily prevent the situation all together which is what I planned / speckt .
I used the wires that were already ran from the rooftop to the AC/ DC panel area but had to extend them to the area I put my SCC / Inverter / and accessory DC panel which is all much closer to the battery ( and I debated over just running/drilling my own new wire route for various reasons ).
After testing a few days , Im finding that the solar WAYYY out performs my Upgraded Converter Charger ( PD 4655L Wildkat PD 4655L MBA WildKat 55 Amp Main Board Assembly for WFCO 8955 ) for a few different reasons. So much I think I might leave the house battery cut off switch in off position when plugged into shore power just so my batteries are charged properly ( optimal voltages / control ) !!
What are your goals / ideas / etc? What is your model RV ?

Wait a minute. From this video, looks like it might just be a port for a solar suitcase for trickle charging.

OP, is this what you have? A solar port?

If so, you'll probably need a real solar system from scratch.
That connector on the ‘solar ready’ RV is a Furrion Solar plug. It’s usually fused at 10 amp. The actual connector needed to plug in if you don’t want to buy a Furrion Solar Suitcase is a CNLINKO 2 pin industrial connector.Typically the plug can handle 500v 20 amp but the RV wire is likely Sized for 10 amp.

CNLINKO 2 Pin Power Industrial Circular Connector, Male Plug, Fit Furrion RV Solar Port, Outdoor Waterproof IP67, AC DC Signal, Fit Furrion, Grand Design, Forrest River RV Solar Ports

Forest River runs wire straight to the battery with a 10 amp in line fuse but verify on your particular vehicle.its a Furrion branded port so most likely there is a deal between Furrion and the RV manufacturers to help sell Furrion solar suitcase by installing a $3 connectors. Anyway you look at it it is only sized to handle 120 watts which a bit like spitting into a blast furnace IMHO.

I'm looking for a suitcase style panel to hook up to my Furrion port on my Grand Design 2800BH, I just want to use to keep my Lithium 100ah battery topped off? I keep RV on the side of my home and can keep panel in the rear of my RV for good sun exposure.
any suggestions on panel I should get. Thanks in advance.

diy solar

diy solar
Back