diy solar

diy solar

RV solar hookup

Randy123

Hello, joined 5 minutes ago - first post;
As many have stated before me - - I know nothing about solar! I started looking through previous posts for a topic related to my questions and realized there are 433 pages with 30 posts each, thats 13,000 posts o_Oo_Oo_O I could not find a "search" location so I decided to list what I THINK I want and, hopefully, someone will steer me to the forum thread I need to be on.
Don't intend to run the whole camper. Happy with lights, coffee pot and furnace. No winter camping.
I have a used (new to me) 30' RV set up for solar but never used, I am thinking I need / want the following;

12 volt 200 watt panel that is expandable in the future
High efficiency
Foldable / lightweight for transport
Good warranty
Dual 12 volt batteries (are deep cycle good or do I need solar specific?)

So, tell me what I really think and what I really need and then where to go - - :rolleyes:
Thank you, Randy

200W panels are common and easy to add to, especially if not worried about slight cosmetic and possible size differences.
High efficiency
It just takes a bit more money.
You will probably pay a premium for this convenience. Flexible panels underperform and don't hold up like rigid panels.
Good warranty
Victron probably the best at 5yrs. Chinesium, don't count on anything.
Deep cycle, marine, AGM or even lithium. Lithium will outlast and outperform lead–acid 10x but will cost 5x more. 30% lighter too.
So, tell me what I really think and what I really need
You need to figure out how much power you use daily if you want to size a system to meet those needs.

What he said ⬆️

Kill a watt meter on devices.

Record daily usage and max daw usages.

MisterSandals, thank you for your reply. I was not clear on one item. When I said "foldable" I meant foldable like a laptop computer not foldable like a rollup

No idea what, "Kill a watt meter on devices." means ??
No idea how to record daily usage on an RV that will be used 4-5 weeks a year at most? Early spring, late fall lots of lights and some heat needed. Rest of summer no heat and very little lighting needed. What scenario do I measure for ?

No idea what, "Kill a watt meter on devices." means ??
No idea how to record daily usage
It is an electronic usage monitor.

For the devices like your coffee pot it will tell you how many watts it requires to operate as well as how many watts it used in operation. Is the furnace all electric? Does it hardwire or plug into an outlet? Led lights?

A high wattage device isn't likely going to be running all day but you will want your system capable of running it. Possibly even at the same time as other items so you don't have to shut off lights to run the coffee pot type thing. Additionally you will want the system to meet the daily power requirements capacity wise. Possibly even 2 or 3 depending on things like shore power access or available sunlight during different seasons.

Without taking the time to measure your usage you won't be able to know what that is. Some things you can estimate based upon labels but my 62 watt laptop doesn't take 62 watts 24 hours a day. By plugging my desk surge strip into the meter I could get an exact readout of my usage over an hour, day, week, ect. I then tracked the mini-refrigerator and freezer for a week. I also checked the microwave, air fryer, all in one pot, electric kettle, toaster, & milk frother to find my highest surge draw appliances.

It really depends on what you want to realistically achieve. You can brew a batch of solar coffee. Even with a single 200w panel. It just might take you 2 or 3 days to charge up the batteries to do so. Provided they are big enough to handle the 1600w surge at whatever amperage your inverter might be asking of them.

Plenty of helpful folks on this forum. I'm new here as well and building my first system. I was ignorant of how to start the project myself. That's why I shared a tip about the "kill-a-watt" meter. It was pretty handy in trying to pinpoint my daily needs so I could better design a system that would accommodate them.

Another important note. A system can't charge if the battery is in use. This means you will want your panels producing enough electricity to operate the smaller more constant draws and still have enough left over to add to the tank when the sun is shining. Unless you don't use it during the day or something. It is all relevant to your situation and how you use it if you are starting to follow this.

For example lets say you have only a 200w panel. In theory you could have a 10kW power bank of stored energy from months of it sitting and collecting. If you say used 1kW per day then that is 10 days worth of juice in the tank. That is a theoretical scenario I'm sure there is a lot more to it than that but hopefully it helps you understand it all a bit more.

search is located at the top right side with a magnifying glass icon. There is also a "similar thread" tab at the bottom of the pages so if you are into reading something you searched you can find other threads on like topics below it.

Last edited:
MisterSandals, thank you for your reply. I was not clear on one item. When I said "foldable" I meant foldable like a laptop computer not foldable like a rollup

Not MisterSandals. But I have a small camp trailer (14', no toilet/shower, but water, heat, oven and four propane burners and oh yeah a 7.4 cubic foot 120v fridge that runs off the Victron inverter and lithium battery). So I can understand your use case.

We have 400W of flexible solar panels on the roof. Because of how we care for these flex panels, I expect them to last a long time, but probably not as a long as rigid panels. We also have a 2x100W rigid panel folding suitcase and it works well. I deploy the suitcase when we are camped in one spot for the night or multiple days. It works well enough.

Word of warning - you might find yourself woo'd by Renogy products. Please don't do what I did and get woo'd. Long story short - what a big waste of time and money. That said, we have one Renogy product left that is decent - the 2x100W solar panel folding suitcase I mentioned. But for all things holy, please fork out a bit more money for something better (I recommend Victron - it's a cry once buy once thing but for a small 12v setup like yours it's not cost prohibitive but if you're a penny pincher you'll feel a small pinch, lol), I highly discourage buying Renogy. Poor design, poor build quality, poor customer service and at the end of the day, not actually a good value when you consider the poor quality/design and hours/days of time you will waste dealing with their products and service.

To Renogy's credit - their customer service team is friendly and respectful. That's about it. They seem like they want to help, but seem impotent to actually do anything useful. One time they came through with a warranty without much headache - a lead-acid battery that arrived leaking new in the box. They also replaced another lead-acid battery but only after they made us jump through a ton of hoops to make it happen (it took many hours of our time to jump through those hoops...how much do you earn per hour in your job/work??) But our charge controller issues was a mind-bending experience that reminds me of the comedy skit "Who's on first?" They asked for info/photos/screenshots, I gave it all to them and then they asked for it again and again and again as if they would never read my messages to them. I could never gain any traction with them. Sigh.

Finally, I think other companies have something useful to learn that Renogy actually gets right - looks. The curb appeal of many of Renogy products is no doubt part of their selling success. I'm embarrassed to say that it was a major reason why I was attracted to them (and their seemingly low prices). Their products look quite nice, sexy black against turquoise, useful features (like built in 2.4A USB ports) and seemingly good built quality (solid metal casings such as on the inverters) and regular sales that make their seemingly low prices even lower. Other much better quality brands are generally down-right ugly, IMO.

I have nothing but good things to say (other than looks, lol) about Victron products. And I have had nothing but good experiences with invertersRus.com, who sell a lot of Victron products. They sell so much that they have a "Victron b-stock" page on their website where you can often get hefty discounts on open box/used/cosmetic damage items. Last thing we ordered from them we actually called in the order and asked the guy if they had any coupons available and he gave us 10% off on the spot (always free shipping). There are other excellent Victron dealers, including Current Connected, who is a regular on this forum and has many happy customers (this forum is harsh on sellers that aren't always excellent).

Anyways, the Victron SmartSolar 100/30 is a good charge controller. Bluetooth (AWESOME app), super fast MPPT tracking (will harness more watts than cheap controllers (I estimate 30% more production compared to my previous Renogy controller)) and is built to last a very long time. It will also have a high resale value should you ever wish to sell it. If you search ebay for used Victron stuff you will not find many, because people tend to hang on to them and used ones sell fast.

Last edited:
Thank you gentlemen for the replies. Can't wait to read my new book. To me a picture is worth a 1000 words so I am hoping ?
Mr. Thumb, you speaketh my language (y)

4 to 5 weeks a year.

All at once, or spread over several months?

Harbor freight has a basic killowatt meter.

Amazon also has em.

Using it to check what your furnace draws will be difficult.

Best to make a list of every single thing you will be using on solar.

Then run a days use on each item and write down the Wh or kWh each uses.
Add it all up, and that's the target to build for.

Just started reading JamesRich thread "First solar build in my camper" from the pop-up menu - Similar Threads
Looks like it contains a lot of info I can use but past midnight - my bed time - I will read tomorrow

Thank you gentlemen for the replies. Can't wait to read my new book. To me a picture is worth a 1000 words so I am hoping ?
Mr. Thumb, you speaketh my language (y)

Maybe before we put the trailer away for the winter I will get some more pictures and create a thread that could read more like a book. Instead of my typical spastic spewing of random bits of gold - ha!

But really, I've learned almost everything useful regarding solar from this forum. SO MANY super smart and helpful people. Some are short-tempered, some are odd, some speak in chemical formula or other scientific language code...but they all know their stuff and will help you if you ask right and the stars align. They and others are the real gold mine of experience and knowledge. A few of my favorites are @Supervstech , @sunshine_eggo , @HarryN , @Hedges , @timselectric, @Mattb4 , @MisterSandals and there are many more than my memory is not caffeinated enough (it's late here) to remember. And there are others that were once very active on the forum who are no more. And of course the pops of the forum, @Will Prowse. Before you buy anything, check to see if it's on his recommended list and if so, buy through the links on his site (mobile-solarpower.com) so he earns his commission so he can keep financially supporting this forum (notice there are no ads - he pays out of pocket for the entire cost of running this forum and it's not a small cost).

Last edited:
@Randy123

This is a great site for all things energy, but perhaps a site specifically dedicated to RV's, or motorhomes in the UK, might be more beneficial?
Lots of self built camper videos in you tube, search for Greg Virgoe for example.

The UK forum I am a member of is MotorhomeFun though it costs to join, you can still lurk and read the relevant posts that may deliver your answers.

Hello, joined 5 minutes ago - first post;
As many have stated before me - - I know nothing about solar! I started looking through previous posts for a topic related to my questions and realized there are 433 pages with 30 posts each, thats 13,000 posts o_Oo_Oo_O I could not find a "search" location so I decided to list what I THINK I want and, hopefully, someone will steer me to the forum thread I need to be on.
Don't intend to run the whole camper. Happy with lights, coffee pot and furnace. No winter camping.
I have a used (new to me) 30' RV set up for solar but never used, I am thinking I need / want the following;

High efficiency
Good warranty

So, tell me about flexible solar panels and I really think and what I really need and then where to go - - :rolleyes:
Thank you, Randy
Hey, welcome to the forum.

For your 30' RV, a 12-volt 200-watt solar panel with expandability options is a good choice. Look for high-efficiency panels for better power production. Foldable, lightweight designs are convenient for transport. Ensure the panel comes with a good warranty for peace of mind. Deep cycle batteries are suitable for your setup, and they don't need to be solar-specific. You can explore forums or websites dedicated to RV solar setups for more specific recommendations and guidance on installation and components.

Last edited:
Back