diy solar

diy solar

RV Solar, want to charge house battery and Ecoflow Delta simultaneously. Possible? Advisable?

quint21

Apologies if this has been asked before, I wasn't able to find a post like this in the forum.

Basically I'm wondering if it's possible to use the solar panels to charge an EcoFlow Delta, and the house battery on my RV both at the same time. Or, if it's not possible, if I need a selector switch of some kind, or another component?

I've attached a diagram of my setup. Here's what I've tried, which (I quickly realized) did not work:
I have two Renogy 175W panels on the roof, wired in parallel. I ran two 10ga wires from the panels, to the RV's electrical cabinet. I used 3-way wago connectors, to "split" the output of the panels. One pair of wires feeds the Renogy 30amp PWM charge controller, that charges the house deep cycle battery. The other pair of wires is connected to a female XT60 plug, which I connect the EcoFlow Delta to, to charge it.

With everything connected, the EcoFlow's charging was very erratic, and it made weird beeping sounds, and seemed generally unhappy with the setup. (Maybe someone can elaborate on this, but I gather it has something to do with having two charge controllers connected to the same solar panel array.)

Any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• solar question for forum1.jpg
    solar question for forum1.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 16
You need a DC to DC charger then can plug the ecoflow so it charges from the house batteries which are charged by the solar.

Agreed, that's pretty much the same conclusion I came to.

There are some drawbacks though, one of which is the charging speed- the EcoFlow can charge significantly faster when connected to the panels directly, rather than charging off the house battery.

The other drawback, is that the EcoFlow's capacity exceeds the house battery's capacity by a bit. So, it's possible, that the EcoFlow, if it had a low enough charge, could deplete the house battery in some situations, which wouldn't be ideal.

I could see using some switches, maybe a pair of DPDT switches. One would switch the panels' power output between the Renogy charge controller's input and the EcoFlow's input, and the other would switch the EcoFlow's input between solar and battery? I'm sure there must be a more elegant solution though. My situation doesn't seem like it would be all that uncommon.

how often are you using the system?

not camping a lot?
manually switching the panels to the house
when it has charged disconnect house from camper
then connect ecoflow to the panels.

you could rig up some voltage sensing relay to automatically switch
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are camping a lot....
rethink your system to have 200-300ah of lifepo4
a small inverter
better solar.... don't expect 2 flexible panels to do much.

if you already have the echoflow and want to take it to a remote spot (without the camper)
charge it from the new improved better camper system.

Back