diy solar

diy solar

Samlex 24v inverter vs Aims

MrNatural22

?SW sunshine =⚡️⚡️lit up thru the darkness✌️
I'm looking at a Samlex 2000w 24v inverter model # PST-2000-24 . I cant seem to find info on whether these are high frequency or low frequency inverters.
From reading I'm assuming LF is a better unit. Also any opinions on like Aims inverters would be helpful. Thanks

I just spoke to Samlex about which it is and they told me it was a newer hybred unit that is transformer based and functions like a low frequency inverter on high surge loads and also runs cooler as a LF might. He also related the idle power draw is .8a in standby.
15Lbs These aren't inexpensive at $600 w/o remote. Remote $60 but as foretold you get what you pay for..

I just welded with a samlex 3000pst 24v and a titanum 170 with a 200ah 24v lifepo4 , you can have the inverters rebuilt in the usa I believe, I've used to run the pst1524 it worked great, just wanted to be able to wash clothes and run everything else when my shallow well pump kicks on, I run a pst 600 with a 72 ah 24v battery for a small backup, it will run a 4 cup coffee pot, at 800 watts, so definitely under rated

One knock on the Samlex is the 20V, low voltage cutoff. This is way too low for LiFePo4 batteries. This is a common setting for a lot of otherwise high quality inverters. Rather than repeat myself, there is a thread on the very subject of high power 24V inverters.

This is the one I am looking hard at right now.

It is about $100 more than the Samlex, but the surge rating is no joke (1/2 second instead of the 40 mS a lot of inverters are able to actually do). They also claim it is able to start and power things like microwave ovens and chop saws. Another thing I really like is you can set the low voltage cutoff directly instead of having to live with whatever the inverter manufacturer thinks is best. I for one don't plan on drawing my battery pack below 10% SOC. A 20V low voltage cutoff would kill my battery pack. I would really rather the inverter did not engage the BMS in normal operation.

I was also impressed by this AIMS 3000W, 24V inverter. Looks really solid and well spec'ed. Except for the 20V low voltage cutoff and no way to change it.

I am seeing that most of the heavy duty 24V inverters available were designed for lead batteries.

I use the sbms 120, with the samlex it was easy to hook up to the bms, it will shut off the inverter at 2.8v per cell...or what ever voltage you choose...

I just spoke to Samlex about which it is and they told me it was a newer hybred unit that is transformer based and functions like a low frequency inverter on high surge loads and also runs cooler as a LF might. He also related the idle power draw is .8a in standby.
15Lbs These aren't inexpensive at $600 w/o remote. Remote $60 but as foretold you get what you pay for..
Any time you see someone talking about a LF inverter these days, ie, a big transformer based unit, the drive for the transformer will be done via high frequency PWM. There aren't, as far as I know, any designs where the drive to the transform is done linear. I'm guessing this is what they are talking about.

One knock on the Samlex is the 20V, low voltage cutoff. This is way too low for LiFePo4 batteries. This is a common setting for a lot of otherwise high quality inverters. Rather than repeat myself, there is a thread on the very subject of high power 24V inverters.

This is the one I am looking hard at right now.

It is about $100 more than the Samlex, but the surge rating is no joke (1/2 second instead of the 40 mS a lot of inverters are able to actually do). They also claim it is able to start and power things like microwave ovens and chop saws. Another thing I really like is you can set the low voltage cutoff directly instead of having to live with whatever the inverter manufacturer thinks is best. I for one don't plan on drawing my battery pack below 10% SOC. A 20V low voltage cutoff would kill my battery pack. I would really rather the inverter did not engage the BMS in normal operation.

I was also impressed by this AIMS 3000W, 24V inverter. Looks really solid and well spec'ed. Except for the 20V low voltage cutoff and no way to change it.

I am seeing that most of the heavy duty 24V inverters available were designed for lead batteries.
Misstatement. 2 second surge, not 1/2 second. That is enough to get past startup surge.

I have used AIMS 12 volt and 48 volt inverters, and am very happy with both. I won't use another brand unless there is a compelling reason to do so.

I’ve been looking for that Giandel 24v 2000w pure sine inverter that Will Prowse uses in a few of his videos. Not having any luck finding it even thru his web page affiliate links. Clicking on his link takes you to Amazon which is showing a Giandel 2200w 12v version @Will Prowse any info?
Is the 24v 2000w version no longer available?? Puzzling ?
Anyone have any info on this?

Last edited:
http://www.giandel.com/ProductView.asp?ID=43 maybe?

My own Giandel was made by a Chinese contract manufacturer ling-qi. I don't know if there is any ownership relationship between Giandel and ling-qi or if Giandel just bought a lot on contract, which is so often the case with this sort of thing. If you dig deep you shouldn't be surprise when you see two different inverters sold by alleged manfacturers in the USA etc to actually be made by a 3rd party, in the same factory.

Since you never know who made the unit from year to year, you have to be a bit cautious when buying as what's inside with a new purchase may not have much to do with what is inside a unit built 2 years ago.

Translation in a not so PC manner: Giandel is garbage.

Ive ran an Aims 10k for several years and it has never failed me. My Dad has one as well and he sent it off after about a year to get fixed after the charger went down. Cost like 1200 to get it fixed (shipping included) and went down again after 6 months. Then he just bought a seperate 48 volt charger for the batteries. The inverter has done well. I use it to run my house sans the 4.5 ton heat/air unit.

Translation in a not so PC manner: Giandel is garbage.

That may be true but I hoped since Will was using one it may be one one the middle of the road so to speak decent inverters. My needs are highly not power demanding so a 2000w would more than meet my uses (RV) and give room for very occasional high demands and $$ is a big factor. Just like LiFePo is costly but a better value. Samlex and Aims are great for demanding use but costly. If it were for powering my home the high cost top of the line inverters would be a no brainer. ✌️

Hard to find the Giandel model I was seeking these days. Hope prices don’t keep skyrocketing on the electronical goodies that make us happy. ?

Regarding the EVO series of Samlex inverters: It's my experience, with the separately purchased remote, all the parameters are customizable, unless your intended setting conflicts with other settings. For example; it will not let you set the low voltage cut off at a higher voltage than the low voltage alarm. ;)

Umm, no. So far my experiences with them have put them towards the better end of the cheapie market.

Apologies, I did not mean to put words in your mouth. I thought that's what you were trying to say without being crass, like, you know, me. :)

Regarding the EVO series of Samlex inverters: It's my experience, with the separately purchased remote, all the parameters are customizable, unless your intended setting conflicts with other settings. For example; it will not let you set the low voltage cut off at a higher voltage than the low voltage alarm. ;)
Have been reading the manual for the Evo-2224. This is very comparable to the Victron except it is a hybrid low frequency inverter (which is better). The Samlex also manages parallel solar input to avoid exceeding the configured max charge current. That is a well thought out inverter. Decisions, decisions. Victron 24/2000 or Samlex Evo-2224. They are about the same price (<$1200). Low Frequency AND charge coordination without requiring communication between the inverter and the SCC. Hmm.

Last edited:
This is very comparable to the Victron except it is a hybrid low frequency inverter (which is better).
Only if you are allowed to feed-in. I don't see that being an advantage if you are off-grid or have no intention of letting one watt back out to the network because you have a battery etc.

Only if you are allowed to feed-in. I don't see that being an advantage if you are off-grid or have no intention of letting one watt back out to the network because you have a battery etc.
I am not getting the point you are making, please explain further.

Advantages I see to the Samlex EVO over the Victron Multiplus:
  • Low Frequency inverter (improved surge capability).
  • Simpler multiple charge source management (it all happens within the inverter/charger). I can then use any SCC I want (instead of being limited to using a Victron).
I agree with you, I am not looking to feed power back to the grid, but I am willing to ignore this aspect if it doesn't costing me anything. The Samlex also provides a second AC input which is more accepting of dirty power (generator input). This could be useful if I ever wanted to use this in a completely off-grid application like a cabin.

I may find out the RV life is not for me and re-purpose the system for something else. Extra features I don't need are not a problem unless they restrict the ability to do what I want. I don't believe the extra functionality of the Samlex get in the way of using if for an RV inverter/charger. I could be wrong though so if I am, please explain what I am missing. This is definitely a learning experience for me and I know I don't have the answers.

The Multiplus is a LF inverter.

There is no compulsion to use a Victron SCC with a Multiplus. You can use what ever you like, it just won't have the tight integration that Victron offers.

You can feed generator power to the Multiplus if you like and it will charge the battery from it but if you don't use a Victron SCC the system will not be coordinated so you need to ensure battery charge current does not exceed the battery manufacturer's specs.

Anything that can accept DC in from a MPPT controller and then regulate charging on top of that will have an advantage but in doing so it will be introducing more losses and it all adds up. The MPPT controller is capable of charging the battery itself, so if you design your system properly WRT battery current I don't really see this as an advantage.

Last edited:
Well after all the looking around and research I decided to bite on the Samlex PST 2000 24. Got a pretty decent price after tax and Wikibuy coupon through Ebay seller. 2000w 24v is more than I need but future wiggle room may change that.

Total price $573.18....A little more than my running Amok budget allowed, but Samlex quality speaks loudly. less worry on product reliability.
Ordering the remote through Amazon for $58.70 with tax after Wikibuy coupon.

Paired with two new Lion Energy UT1300 dropins, 1 327w Sunpower PV, 4215BN CC, 175a breaker, 24v-12v buck and other goodies almost completes my long running cargo trailer conversion. Only thing needed still is a shore charger for the 24v setup on the cloudy sunless days.
Time to stick that C Card in the freezer to cool off for a while....LOL

The Multiplus is a LF inverter.

There is no compulsion to use a Victron SCC with a Multiplus. You can use what ever you like, it just won't have the tight integration that Victron offers.

You can feed generator power to the Multiplus if you like and it will charge the battery from it but if you don't use a Victron SCC the system will not be coordinated so you need to ensure battery charge current does not exceed the battery manufacturer's specs.

Anything that can accept DC in from a MPPT controller and then regulate charging on top of that will have an advantage but in doing so it will be introducing more losses and it all adds up. The MPPT controller is capable of charging the battery itself, so if you design your system properly WRT battery current I don't really see this as an advantage.
Thanks. Are you positive that the multiplus is low frequency? I asked a vendor that question and he said it was high frequency. The profile of the multiplus looks pretty thin for a transformer.

-edit-

I stand corrected.

The way the Samlex EVO handles solar charging is it reduces current from the AC charger so the total charging current stays within programmed limit. Pretty elegant, it just monitors the SCC current and passes it through without loss to the battery.

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back