diy solar

diy solar

Schneider SW4048 vs Samlex EVO 4248

BRoll73

Been looking here for a bit and decided to jump in and become a member. I'm looking for a 4-5kw max power low frequency inverter. I don't fully trust these HF inverters out yet, specifically in this size I'm looking for. Focus is on a few critical circuits in a remote location that is only visited about a week per month. Victron is not in this game because I want a single 120/240v inverter, not two inverters making up split phase. I've done research but hoping this forum could could answer some of my questions:

Any overall recommendation for these two inverters, one over the other? Note that PV connection will not be established, this will be for back up only with a 48v battery pack and will be grid connected for charging. Might add PV later but will figure that out down the road.
  1. I know that Samlex has no remote/internet monitoring capability that I have found, I assume I could set something up with a RPI and Victron shunt so I can see what this unit is doing from a battery consumption perspective, interested in monitoring thoughts.
  2. I know Schneider has Insight, but reading the manuals and calling support seems no one can confirm that the mobile insight app on google or apple can remotely monitor the system over internet vs being local on the same network. Not sure why support doesn't understand local wireless monitoring vs remote internet based wireless monitoring. Also does the insight mobile app have any type of notification alert vs having to look into the app to see what's going on?

Appreciate any help or guidance here. Open to suggestions on other inverters but these are my two top picks after a few months of research.

Last edited:
I'll update what I've learned today, including another call to Schneider support (who has been pretty damn great on answering my questions). For the SW and assume XW you can monitor your installation over the internet away from home via the mobile app but not manage. You can login to the SE Cloud and manage and monitor your install via the website over the internet. This is making me lean to SW4048 now.

Separately a very helpful forum member tried this and sent me a screenshot of it working via the mobile Insight app.

I now have the Samlex EVO 4248. In the process of getting things connected.

I plan to use my Victron SmartShunt & Victron SCC -> VenusOS on RasPi. I can see the battery SOC and Solar Production locally or via Victron's Portal.

I plan to use my Shelly EM to monitor the L1 & L2 AC outs of the Samlex. I can also see this either locally or via Shelly's portal. I may get a 2nd Shelly EM to monitor the AC in as well.

To see things in a single plane of glass, both the VenusOS and the Shelly can talk to HomeAssistant. (However, I don't have this open to the Internet. So only visible locally to my network)

I'll follow up when everything is done.

Back