diy solar

diy solar

SC48120-MPV Addition to SPF 12000T DVM MPV Inverter

jnrhome

I've added a SC48120-MPV stand alone solar charge controller to my existing SPF 12000T DVM MPV Growatt 12K Inverter so i can add even more panels.
Charging works fine but I'm trying to figure out how to get the new SCC to speak/report with/to the main inverter.
Seems like I require an RS485 hub and can't wire direct.
Thoughts?

I don't think that they can communicate with each other. But they can both report to external monitoring.

I've added a SC48120-MPV stand alone solar charge controller to my existing SPF 12000T DVM MPV Growatt 12K Inverter so i can add even more panels.
Charging works fine but I'm trying to figure out how to get the new SCC to speak/report with/to the main inverter.
Seems like I require an RS485 hub and can't wire direct.
Thoughts?
I believe @MrM1 and/or @kromc5 have done this with some success

The unit came with a usb to serial connector, but who still has serial ports...?
both books show rs485 and canbus capabilities.
I shouldn't need a shinephone wifi module to see the unit, but ordered one anyway.

I have done this, and it puts my SC4880mpv as a slave.
GW12K 485 port direct to GW 48120 com port,
and set 48120 peramiter #8 from SIG to CL1
The GW12K will throttle the charge control from about 93% SOC.

I have since "stolen" a communication directly from a battery to the charge control.
Parameter #8 to SIG,
and it will charge until 98% SOC

This is a vid documenting a com board problem for Signature solar.
1:34-1:55 shows the peramiter setting and connection.

Last edited:
Hi @jnrhome,

I am also considering adding an independant solar charge controller for the same purpose as yours. What would you gain by connecting the 2 units ?

Hi @jnrhome,

I am also considering adding an independant solar charge controller for the same purpose as yours. What would you gain by connecting the 2 units ?
The only gain would be having the whole battery bank as one continuous communication string,
if any battery had a problem the hole system would shut down.
Down side is,
the CC will stop charging around 90% SOC and the 12K would finish the charge.

As a independent (com tied to half my battery bank) the CC will charge full on until 98%.
I prefer independent now.

Attachments

• 20231028_090015.jpg
    20231028_090015.jpg
    964.5 KB · Views: 2
Back