diy solar

diy solar

SCC designed to charge electric car batteries.

Mattb4

Solar Wizard
A poster in another Thread was asking about how to setup to charge their electric car battery from Solar. It is my understanding that most EV batteries are real high voltage (400-800vDC) and thus a typical AIO is not setup to supply this kind of direct charging from panels. So you would first need to go thorough an inverter and than to the EV battery charger.

So the thought occurred to me maybe there is already a SCC designed to supply directly the necessary EV charging needs and if anyone is running such a setup. Any experience would be interesting and I appreciate your response.

Subscribe!!
In order to charge via DC, so bypass the AC inboard charger, you will have to communicate with the EV via CCS* controller.
Seem to me like a huge challenge.

*CCS (Combined Charging System) is the north america standard and is use by most OEM and it's compatible with Tesla.

Thanks for the information about CCS. My knowledge of electric vehicles in minuscule so I was not aware that there was this additional hurdle to overcome.

Well, the CCS communication is there to close the battery and fast charge contactors and to ensure the EV battery ask the DC charger what it need. It's the real manner to charge an EV in DC with the CCS charge gun.

It's probably possible to simply turn ON the EV (so close the battery contactors) and push DC inside the battery via... well via what you can find who is link to the battery.
But I guess that some EV brand programing will not like to receive current and they could take action. Action like turning the car OFF or blowing a fuse (pyrofuse for Tesla).

Back