diy solar

diy solar

Car audio... Lol

It looks like its formed or cast aluminum but its just aluminum angle from home depot assembled precisely then hand sanded and polished for hours.

Picture368.jpgPicture307.jpgPicture353.jpgPicture312.jpgPicture316.jpgPicture359.jpg

Couple more pics of the veritas horns that went in the hearse, and one of the soundstream exact 10s in the vette.
The vette also had a precision power pro 12 flat piston carbon fiber sub with a ppi 600w amp just for that.

I still have the clarion max 2256 head unit setup from the vette. Think it works fine. Bet Id have a hard time getting $200 for it on ebay now, it was $2300 new. The vette once had Zapco System 150 amps in each fender- the three piece ones with an energy storage module that were $750 ea. in the 80s. They became unreliable so replaced them with the p840. As I was doing the competition build I still wanted amps up in the fenders so bought a pair of phoenix gold xs2300s. Stout little amps but IASCA would actually disqualify your entry if you cannot access the amp fuses and gain controls. So with incredible difficulty I cut holes in the fender wells drilled holes in the side of the amps for the wires to come through and mounted each amp with an aluminum access panel visible inside the fender... Had a plexiglass panel and illumination just so the judges could look up and see you can get to the fuses. Cut the gain controls out of the amps and wired them to pots in outboard aluminum boxes.
Which of course forced me to advance to expert level because I modufied the amps internals. Cool on a regional level because youll always trophy since only 2-3 experts are even in a given region.
If you went to the nationals youd have to face that guy with the 4runner that had his whole dash and fenders built into a giant hlcd and 15s in the kicks.

Anyway I still have the xs2300s but cant find gain controls to put back in them.

those soundstream mid bases were pretty shit red hot back in the day.
Pictured is the 10" sub, I had the 6.5" component mids in black plexi pods in the doors. I knew right off the way to impress the SQ judges was midbass so I had 4 of the p840s 8 channels dedicated to those 2 drivers. 120w each side and the a/d/s plate amps are very tightly regulated with nearly identical output at 12.5 volts and 14.4 volts. So ch 1&2 for the horns, 3&4 the soundstreams tweeters in the doors, and 5&6 and 7&8 just for the midbass. The tweeters were tuned way down to add width to the soundstage just imperceptively, as the season went by I tuned them even lower and stopped using rear fill altogether. If I was to continue competing with the vette the 6.5s might have been removed in favor of shallow 8"s in the floor reflected off the ceiling as lots of guys were going that way. However since my horns were actually very close to the listener, I couldnt have solved the pathlength differential I would have introduced between the mids and horns.
The cadillac had enormous width in the front and space in the kicks for big mids. I finished the system but never got to compete with it. During the year I was building its system living 100yds from the ocean the sea air took a huge toll on the car and the rust was insurmountable. I took care of it , washing and waxing it (and the corvette next to it) twice a week. But it rusted in unseen places, the rocker panels and frame rails. Then a head gasket blew, before I reassembled it the city tagged it for removal as an abandoned vehicle. I gave it to my neighbors brother, he towed it to riverside it never ran again.
Here was the cadillac in my driveway a week or so after 9/11, the engine was apart at the time.

Picture032.jpgPicture011.jpgPicture001.jpg

Last edited:
I mentioned to another user "teamROCS.com" and rec.audio.car then realized that things that existed 25 years ago on the web may not now.

teamROCS started from river oaks car stereo in houston. Its owner eddie runner had the installer.com domain and lurked on the usenet newsgroup rec.audio.car which was popular. Imagine a message board where industry professionals and hobbyists alike got together under the guise of being helpful but instead spent their time flaming people proving who was right etc eventually forming a club with exclusive membershios where legacy members beat up on newbies who were often top industry figures who wandered into rec.audio.car and believed we were the coolest thing on the web. Many members were installers, some were trolls living with their parents. We had t shirts and wore them to competitions, which was great if you were a lone competitor getting stomped on by local industry bullies.

Here archived is eddie runner abusing tom nousaine (a regular contributor at carstereoreview magazine, and a nice guy I met at several shows) in a thread about box stuffing.

Note that eddie is actually wrong and tom is right, however tom cant really drive home a convincing argument and eddie is a master at lowbrow bullying and has several teamrocs members piling on.

Eddie was a local legend in houston. At the strip mall his store is in, a young thug purse snatched a little old lady and tried to steal her car, breaking her arm in the process. Eddie heard her screams, cane out of his shop and stepped in front of the car to block the kid from leaving, drawing his handgun down upon him. When the thug shifted into drive and put the pedal down, eddie put a bullet through the windshield right between his eyes.

True story.

Every teamrocs member got a nickname that was a friendly insult played off their internet handle. As batvette, mine was buttsweat.

Eventually teamrocs had over 200 members, including alma gates (owner of the gates bronco world spl champ, first 180db competitor) who received red carpet treatment as a passenger in my cadillac limo at several events.
Now its just a memory as we all moved on, some have left the building forever.

Last edited:
Back