diy solar

diy solar

Tesla car charging stations.

mxbadboy

OK, they installed some new Level 3 chargers by my local Target. As an electrical contractor and retired engineer I'm a bit confused why the chargers are labeled as "Up to 250 KW". The rating plate on the charger lists 500 VDC and 350 A. That works out to 175 KW. But it get's more interesting than that. The cord between the charger and car in no way has big enough conductors to carry anywhere close to those amps. Wire's are rated in amps and copper conductors rated for 350 A would be over an inch in diameter each. There's no exception in the electrical code for duty cycle so over amping the wires even for short time is a no go. I then watched a few video's of people charging their Tesla cars and the adjustable amp charging limit setpoint seems to be 35 to 40 amps which makes sense considering the cord conductor limitations. So that works out to 17.5 to 20 KW. Back to my original point. Why are these stations label "Up to 250 KW"?

As a side note all these new chargers have signs that read "For Tesla Vehicle Charging Only". They did install two Chargepoint stations rated at 6.6 KW AC. So much for Tesla letting other brands use their charging stations.

Some versions of superchargers are liquid cooled.
It's probably considered free air ampacity

The charging limit is for AC charging.

I'm not sure Tesla has been testing Magic Dock (the NACS to CCS adapter) in California. They probably put up the signs to dissuade people that don't know this bit of trivia from attempting to find a Magic Dock hardware on these things. As well to dissuade people that think the announcements of all those companies joining NACS means they can charge their cars on those superchargers with random adapter they bought off the internet.

Opening up will happen between 2024 and 2025.

Some versions of superchargers are liquid cooled.
It's probably considered free air ampacity
Not sure what that has to do with the cable conductor size.
The whole thing sounds typical of what the EV industry and proponents have been doing, which is completely bullshitting the public about the charging infrastructure capabilities. Telling people they neednt worry because they can charge up in minutes everywhere.

Look up Tesla's very own guidance on supercharging.
The basic premises is don't do it often (or at all) if you don't want to eviscrate your battery life. (They attempted to do some damage control in 2023 in the media by saying that it does not happen, but basic knowledge of batteries and electricity will tell you why its an issue no matter how much the paid media will deny it)
Why do you think Apple and others "optimize" charging on the phone (its essentially trickle charge)? Slow charging greatly extends battery life.

Not sure what that has to do with the cable conductor size.
The whole thing sounds typical of what the EV industry and proponents have been doing, which is completely bullshitting the public about the charging infrastructure capabilities. Telling people they neednt worry because they can charge up in minutes everywhere.
Since it is liquid cooled it can carry more current without heating and suffering from lower conductivity and degrading the insulation.

The charging rate of EVs has been measured a lot at a system level. It is common YouTube content. Are you saying that the YouTubers are lying or the supercharging power transfer kW rate on the car console is lying?

Since it is liquid cooled it can carry more current without heating and suffering from lower conductivity and degrading the insulation.

The charging rate of EVs has been measured a lot at a system level. It is common YouTube content. Are you saying that the YouTubers are lying or the supercharging power transfer kW rate on the car console is lying?

You would be surprised that Google (YouTube and any content on YouTube) or any of the official sources are lying? They have been lying to us about most things for as long as i can remember.
Is it possible that the console software has been cooked not to show the actuals? 100%, especially with all the other lies about EVs (starting with zero emissions) they have been spewing for the last 3 or so years when "EV agenda" went into overdrive.

OK, I think your objectivity/engineering sense is out the window.

There is a self-correcting factor on the console. Namely the range recovered from charging & the amount of time it takes to charge. The battery size is also known. Even if you can't trust the manufacturer you can measure the kW on home charger, which you control (and I don't think the illuminati is going to come hack your measurements), to see the total kWh of the battery in an independent way from the manufacturer. From there you can figure out the kWh/mile that you can get from the mileage you can get out of the car after supercharging, and use this to calibrate the behavior of the supercharger.

What in this is outside the control of an independent owner or investigator?

What in this is outside the control of an independent owner or investigator?

The flaw here is assumption that investigator is independent.
I dont think any finding going against the narrative will be allowed (See covid vaxx over the last 3 years), especially on Youtube.
As for owner, same problem - very few will have the technical know-how to preform the tests. And then you get back to number one - any findings contradicting the narrative (of how great EVs are) will not be allowed.

The cables are liquid cooled?

Oh darn thats not working out too well.

That sounds like a lot of manufacturing complexity. When theyre comparing the carbon cost of ICE vs EVs, how come no aspects of building the charging infrastructure was ever factored in?

When theyre comparing the carbon cost of ICE vs EVs, how come no aspects of building the charging infrastructure was ever factored in?

The whole carbon bs again.
This is how much "caboon" and actual real pollution is realeased every time one of these has a "thermal event" aka fire.
I bet you that is more than tens of thousands of ICE cars over their entire lifetimes.

Last edited:
Back