diy solar

diy solar

Schneider Insight firmware update

n2aws

Solar Addict
Hey all,

I just wanted to mention that Insight firmware was recently updated on their website.

Unfortunately, they kept the "1.18" version number, which is the same as the one they previously removed quietly. However, the build number changed. The one they pulled was build number 33, and this one is 41.

I haven't had a chance yet to compare the release notes to see if there are any additional features or bugfixes listed from the old build 33 release notes.

This firmware is still not recommended for people with the XW+

So, I waited a few days to see if they quietly pull this version. But it's still up.

I upgraded to 1.18b41, and immediately started having an issue where the insight device completely freezes up. As in, not just loses network connectivity.. It completely freezes. The built in access point/SSID no longer is broadcast, it stops collecting data/metrics from the other devices, it stops communicating with my BMS, it also stops doing peak load shaving, zero export, or any other functions.

I've tried wifi connection, ethernet connection, I've factory reset it via both the UI and the physical reset button.. But here is the kicker..

I've also downgraded back to 1.17 (which has worked flawlessly for me), and the issue continues. I suspect whatever is causing the "freeze up" issue, does not get overwritten when you downgrade the firmware or factory reset it.

Be warned!

On the plus side, after waiting on hold for a while, Schneider is replacing the device. They did confirm that there are reports of the device freezing, but apparently for most people, downgrading the firmware again resolves it. However, that isn't my case.

Well, updating software was on my todo list today. I guess I'll go to 1.17, not 1.18

At least they didn't ask you to open it up to check some stuff, then decided to void the warranty! ??

It's amazing the difference a real manufacturer makes vs an importer of white label boxes.

Well, updating software was on my todo list today. I guess I'll go to 1.17, not 1.18

At least they didn't ask you to open it up to check some stuff, then decided to void the warranty! ??

It's amazing the difference a real manufacturer makes vs an importer of white label boxes.
Whats interesting to me is twofold:

1) I had previously tried the other 1.18 (the one that got pulled) and had ZERO issues with it. but the newest.. I can't keep the insight up for more than 20-30 minutes. and then *all functions* cease. like the machine just hangs.
2) Downgrading to 1.17 doesn't resolve the problem for me, even though support said that it's helped other customers with the same complaint.

I wonder if the hardware has a watchdog that they could enable in firmware. If the watchdog isn't reset every X time, restart the device.

I did a test this morning, just out of curiousity. When the insight was frozen, I noticed it wasn't doing peak load shave, nor zero sell.. Zero sell I expected, since the wattnode connects to the insight device. But, peak load shave is set at the inverter level. I was supprised when I say "0.00" on my inverter display. So, I decided to test it. I flipped off the grid breaker to see if it'd at least act as a backup in a grid down.. and it immediately triggered an F.71 fault, and wouldn't supply power to anything.

So, this now has me concerned that.. should something happen to my insight device in an actual outage scenario.. I don't know that I can be sure I'd have power. When I get the new unit, I intend to do a ton of "offgrid, and no insight" testing, to see what (if anything) I can do to make the inverter itself work. I know before I added the insight, the inverter worked right out of the box, so I assume it's a setting or tweak I need to make in the config.

Schneider has problems with their software...too bad as the hardware seems okay.
It's like going back to MS DOS.

Schneider has problems with their software...too bad as the hardware seems okay.
It's like going back to MS DOS.

The last few firmware updates for me have been fine, to be fair.
I wish they'd add a couple new features, but for most things that I need, it "just works".

For the things I wished it did, I was recently introduced to some software that allows you to control the system externally and implement whatever logic is missing.

Overall, even with this issue.. I'm really happy with my Schneider purchase decision.

Well, I updated both the XW and Insight today.
Just because I love to temp fate and wanted to see if I could kill my Insight Home I tried 1.18 build 41 (and XW to 2.04 build 29)
The Insight seems to have survived, no issues. It did get a little sluggish to load pages as I clicked on things.

However, my biggest issue was that no matter what I tried, I could not get the XW to charge.
I even reset the XW to factory settings, but it made no difference, still wouldn't charge.

After I rolled the Insight back to 1.17 build 79, the XW started charging like nothing at all had happened.

Schneider did update the GUI.

1696106084870.png

This also looks new to me. I wonder if this is the switch needed for those with Schneider DC charge controllers and looking to sell to the grid.

1696107166330.png

This also looks new to me. I wonder if this is the switch needed for those with Schneider DC charge controllers and looking to sell to the grid.

View attachment 170159

I have the Schneider MPPTs, and have always been able to "sell to the grid" (I know I sound like a broken record, but in my case that just means "backfeed to the main panel" since I do zero export.

I saw this setting too, but no idea what it's use-case scenario would be.

So, After continued testing. I decided to try something.

Flashed firmware 1.18b41.
Then, I reset to factory defaults. I set the absolute bare minimums up (network (wifi in this case), disabled the onboard charger, and setup peak load shave to 0 amps, and grid support voltage at 52.0.

I left it in that configuration for a couple of hours (previously, the insight was freezing every 20 minutes or so (To be honest, I never timed it. but thats what it "feels" like)

After a few hours, it was still rock solid.

I then let it detect my wattnode, and configured "Grid Sell" with -1200 as my "Zero Export" target, and set to 10 max sell amps. (I know, the XW can do more, but right now my grid wiring and breaker are undersized until this winter when I feel like spending a couple days in the attic to run larger wire).

In peak load shave and "zero export", it was again rock solid for a couple hours. This was yesterday.

This morning, I got up, saw it was still working.. so I plugged in the EG4 Lifepower4 communications hub (if you don't have one, this acts as the BMS, and gets wired to the insight home). *note* I did not *detect* the BMS, or setup anything around the BMS... so, no SOC control, or anything. I literally just plugged it in and nothing else. 20 minutes later.. the insight home is frozen. I then power cycled the insight, and it continued to freeze up. So, I unplugged the comms hub, and power cycled the insight. It's been rock solid since.

So, on a hunch.. I changed the DIP switches on one of my batteries, and plugged in the cable from the insight direct to the battery (bypassing the comms hub). and voila. Rock solid. Gave it 2 hours. After 2 hours, I unplugged the cable from the battery and back into the comms hub. and guess what? Then endless "freeze and power cycle" thing started up again.

Unscientific, but I suspect something between firmware version 1.10 on the comms hub, and 1.18b41 on the insight home is causing the insight home to become unresponsive. And once again, when I was on 1.17, and 1.18b33 (the one that was pulled quietly) I never had an issue.

I'm curious though, if the new insight home will suffer the same behavior on 1.18b41, with the comms hub. I'll find out in a few days, for sure.

Right now though, I have all of my old settings re-enabled. I have the comms hub plugged into my batteries (for the centralized display). but the insight is plugged direct into the top battery in my bank. And it's been good for over an hour so far. So, I suspect I've found the "what", but not the "why"

When I get the new insight, I'll try it. if it exhibits the same issue, I'll contact SS and let them know so they may be able to lab it up and see if they have the same issue.

Back