diy solar

diy solar

Schneider Modbus communications using Pymodbus vs. Node-Red

BentleyJ

Solar Wizard
Wanted to throw this out to the form for comments and suggestions.

Node-Red for Modbus communications has been discussed in the recent past, more specifically with regard to Schneider InsightHome or the ComBox. Thanks to those that posted step by step instructions, I was able to get a RPi 3B+ set up to trigger a float charge cycle every day at 1:30pm.

Got me thinking about the home automation controller (Universal Devices EISY) and if it would be possible to use it to do the same thing. The OS is FreeBSD but for some reason the pymodus code is not working at all, we are missing something. Does anyone on the forum have any experience or comments regarding pymodbus implementations such as a sample code or any advice, tips?

Additional Background if anyone is interested: Universal Devices EISY controller is running Insteon switches, dimmers, fan-light controllers, receptacles and I/O modules. As such its an imbedded system that has a fixed user interface but has flexibility due to available Plug Ins on the Polyglot 3x system. For example weather data that can be incorportated into an irrigation control scheme or a push notification controller.

Universal Devices is located in Encino, CA and they were interested in this particular application. I've been working with Michel Kohanim. So far he has been a great help and produced a Modbus TCP Plug-In posted on Polyglot and it is working correctly and does show up as a node in EISY menu. We spent a couple of hours last week trying different variations of pymodbus code trying to get a response from the Schnider InsightHome. We know the InsightHome is working because Node-Red running either on Windows or RPi has no problem reading and writing registers.

The cool part of the way Michel developed the plug-in is that it requires a user modifible .json file to specify which modbus registers are to be read or written. Therefore it is extremly useful in that someone could interface with only the data registers they need for their application.

Triggering a force charge is great but more importantly if we can get this working the UD EISY could receive Warning and Fault messages from the inverter and do Push notifications to your phone or send a notification if the grid goes down or the battery is getting too low.

From what I read minimalmodbus is an abbreviated version of pymodbus so sounds like we are working towards the same end result. Not sure if you can answer this. If I have a pymodbus_test.py script in VS Code can I copy-paste it directly to Thonny on the RPi?

diy solar

diy solar
Back